Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

CPU running at 100%

• Please log in to reply

tohann

tohann

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
SSSvr.exe - out. I found only one instance of that file which was under Program Files. I uninstalled all of the Sony Vaio Media Service-related programs and the CPU is still fluctuating between 30% and 80%. Here is the latest Filemon log.

Any other ideas?

Attached Files

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,802 posts
Looks like this time it is related to Universal Plug and Play.

Before we do anything with that, I would like to check a HijackThis log of your computer, in addition to a screenshot of Process Explorer. Here are your instructions:

HijackThis instructions
Please download and run hijackthis Do a scan and then save a log. Take the log and ATTACH IT (do not post) to your next post.

We do not like to post hijackthis logs in sections other than the malware forum as we do not want to encourage people to post malware issues in this forum.

I am not looking for malware. I am looking for what programs or combinations of programs might cause this behavior. If I notice any malware, I will redirect you to the malware forum.

Process Explorer instructions
Download Process Explorer from Sysinternals
http://www.sysintern...ssexplorer.html

Extract and run it. Go to VIEW > SHOW Fractional CPU usage
Make sure it is checked.

Look in the CPU column and relate what is consuming your CPU time

If you can, a screencapture would be useful.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 03 April 2006 - 04:05 PM.

tohann

tohann

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
Alright, here's what I have. Let me know if you find anything interesting or if you need another log/screenshot. :whistling:

Attached Files

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,802 posts
Other than Viewpoint Manager, your HijackThis log is clean. But Viewpoint Manager wouldn't cause this problem.

To remove Viewpoint Manager, simply go to Add/Remove Programs and remove it.

Now, I see some strange processes running in the background in the process explorer screenshot. For some reason, I don't see these processes or anything related to them in the HijackThis log. So...I want you to open msconfig and take a screen shot of that.

Go to Start > Run. Type msconfig and press enter. Click on the Startup tab. In the catagory title bar, double-click on the separators between Startup Item & Command and Command & Location. This will automatically resize the columns so they allow the names of the entries to be fully displayed. Now take a screenshot.

tohann

tohann

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
Viewpoint Manager and Viewpoint Media Player are now uninstalled. I have no idea where they came from, but they're useless to me and now gone.

Here are two screenshots of the Startup tab since all entries didn't fit on one page.

Also, I guess it bears mentioning, there were more processes running in the Process Explorer log, but I just sorted by CPU and posted a screenshot of the first page. I can give you two pages of that one, too, if you'd like.

Attached Files

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,802 posts
I say we give your computer a good cleanning before we continue:

Please follow all the directions found here. After you get to step 5, STOP, do NOT continue.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
After doing the cleanning found there, do this:

Download and install Tune Up 2006 Trial

Click on Clean up & Repair. Run TuneUp DiskCleaner. Delete all junk files. Afterwords, return to the Main Screen.

Click on Clean up & Repair. Run TuneUp RegistryCleaner. Fix all errors. Afterwords, return to the Main Screen.

Click on Optimize & Improve. Run TuneUp RegistryDefrag, which will take a few minutes and need a reboot.

After the reboot, start Tune Up again. Click on Optimize & Improve then click on TuneUp System Optimizer. Now click on Accelerate downloads and Internet surfing to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot.

After the reboot, start Tune Up again. Click on Optimize & Improve then click on TuneUp System Optimizer. In the menu to the left called "Wizards", choose System Advisor. Note some of the advice it tells you.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Uninstall Tune-Up after doing all those things.

Let me know if the problem still exists. If it does, I will give you instructions on how you could troubleshoot and possibly figure out the problem on your own. I will be back on later today to see how the cleanning went and give you further instructions if necessary.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 05 April 2006 - 04:10 PM.

urmypal

urmypal

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi all,

I am new to this group. I am having a problem hope u guys could help.

I have a desktop with AMD 1.79 and 256md ram.
In the task manager shows 100% cpu usage.when i go to process in task manager i noticed that

ImageName User CPU Mem Usage

Sytem SYSTEM 99 224k

all the remaning process are 00 under CPU.

when i hit the internet explorer it takes a long time even start the process in status bar.and the system is very slow. i dont have softwares installed on my computer just the XP itself and i have installed the network card thats all i have on my computer but i dont know y it shows CPU is 100%. hope u guys could hepl in this regard. thank you

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,802 posts
urmypal...did you read the directions at the top of GeeksToGo?

To avoid confusion, please do not post your question in someone else's topic. Start your own. Stay with your original topic when posting a follow up.

I will give you directions urmypal, but do not post here again, unless you've got some advice to offer. Start your own topic to receive help.

Instructions for urmypal
Please follow all the directions found here. After you get to step 5, if your problem is not resolved, post a HijackThis log in the Malware forum. If your problem persists after getting a clean bill of health from a malware expert, start your own topic in the XP/2000 forum and you will receive further assistance there.

Keep in mind, the malware forum is very busy and can take up to 5 days to receive a reply. There is a special forum called The Waiting Room if you've been waiting for 3 or more days. You can put a link to your topic & a short description of your problem and someone will get with you soon.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 07 April 2006 - 09:07 PM.

tohann

tohann

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
Just to keep you guys updated since I haven't posted anything in the last couple of days...

I've gotten through most of the steps without a hitch. Everything is coming back clean. Ewido found and cleaned a few things. I'm running TrojanHunter right now which has been running for about......five hours. This is going painfully slow since everything is taking hours to complete (I'm guessing that's due to the high CPU usage). So I'm still working over here, it's just slow going. :whistling:

There is one strange behavior I noticed today. I ran Ewido overnight last night and had it clean up things this morning when I woke up. After that was done running I shut it down for the day. After work I booted it back up to start the TrojanHunter program. It ran perfectly when I booted up. It ran fine for 20 or so minutes so I brought up Firefox and started surfing and opening up seven or eight tabs. The laptop behaved wonderfully. No problems no slowdowns. Nuttin'. I closed Firefox and let it sit for another half hour and things are still looking great; CPU is down around 2-4% usage. I then start Firefox again and open up several tabs and start surfing and that's when things start slowing down again. I closed Firefox down and the CPU is still showing 20-70% usage when sitting idle. I reboot and it's the same thing from the start before even doing anything. I don't know if this is related to Firefox, I don't think it is, it seems like it started misbehaving after it reached a certain temperature or something like that. I don't know. I'm not a hardware expert by any means. :blink:

So I should have a full report in the next day or so as I finish up the last couple of steps.

Edited by tohann, 08 April 2006 - 08:49 AM.

tohann

tohann

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
Alright. I followed all of the instructions posted above. The bad news is the problem still exists. It is running at or near 100% CPU usage the majority of the time. The utilities did find some things to clean up, and they did wonderfully, but the change has been only marginal. I can tell they helped a little bit, but not nearly enough.

Following up on my last post, after the laptop had been on for a while and it started pegging at 100%, I shut it down for three hours and booted it back up. It behaved perfectly and the CPU was again where it should be, down near 2-4%. After being on for about 20 minutes it started spiking again. Could the hard drive be going bad? Could the new RAM be faulty? It seems like this is related to heat or something happening after a certain amount of time. I guess I'm leaning that way now after going through all these suggestions and not coming up with any real progress. Don't get me wrong, I really appreciate all the help. I thought for sure it was some program causing all of this, but that would have to be ruled out after all of the cleansing we've done, right? I think I have the cleanest PC in the state. :whistling:

What is our next step?

Thanks again for all your help thus far!

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,802 posts

I thought for sure it was some program causing all of this, but that would have to be ruled out after all of the cleansing we've done, right? I think I have the cleanest PC in the state.

:whistling: You'd be suprised at how much one little bitty infection that is missed can screw with your computer. We're getting to the solution, it's just gonna take some more troubleshooting.

Now I need 2 things from you:

1. Please download and run hijackthis Do a scan and then save a log. Take the log and ATTACH IT (do not post) to your next post.

2. Please download Speed Fan and install it.

Start Speed Fan. When it is fully loaded, take a screen shot of the first screen by pressing Print Screen/SysRq on your keyboard. Open Paint and paste. Save the screenshot as a JPEG and post it in a reply to me. Now click on the tab called S.M.A.R.T.. Use the drop-down box at the top to select your hard drive. Now take a screenshot of that as well. Post it in your reply to me as well.

NOTE: When you exit Speed Fan, it turn your computer's fan to 100% speed. This is normal, don't worry about it. If you don't hear your fans kick to max, then there could be something wrong...

Edited by computerwiz12890, 09 April 2006 - 05:51 PM.

tohann

tohann

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
Hello once again. Here is the log and 2 screenshots you requested. When I exited SpeedFan by closing the window, I didn't hear my fan kick it up a notch. I can hear the fan running normally, and sometimes gets a tiny bit louder as it's working harder, but never anything drastic. But again, I didn't hear it increase when I closed SpeedFan. Could it already be running at 100% to start?

Also, I've included a second screenshot of the SpeedFan main page. As I was downloading SpeedFan and installing it and getting the screenshots and running HijackThis, the CPU started pegging at 100% again. This time it happened within 10 minutes of booting the laptop up for the first time today. The second screenshot is after the CPU pegged and the temps are noticably higher. And now as I get ready to submit this reply the HD temp is 108F, and the CPU is 147F.

Attached Files

CJIS

CJIS

• PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
Not sure whether I am allowed to advertise this, if not please tell me, but, I used to have this problem, with high CPU and memory usage but I now use a program called System Mechanic 6 Pro (free 30 Day trial) and used all of there utilities and now...... my computer runs great, my memory usage is low and my CPU is low. I think this program is great. It also speeds up the internet connection, defrags, and lots more.

Main IOLO page
IOLO Products
System Mechanic 6 Pro

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,802 posts
That is a very hot computer! Let's do a little experiment, shall we?

Download Caffe1ne for your computer. This will prevent the screensaver and power saving features from interupting the experiment. After you download it, unzip it to the desktop so you can easily access it.

Leave the computer off for a while. Let it cool off. When it is cooled off, disconnect your internet connection wire (if that applies to you) and turn the computer on. Double-click on Caffe1ne to activate it. Now double-click on Speed Fan.

Don't do anything on the computer. Just let it sit. Watch how the CPU usage changes as the computer heats up. Report back with what you see.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 11 April 2006 - 08:11 AM.

tohann

tohann

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
Here's what I found, and this may be the most telling post thus far.

I started the laptop and it was not connected to the internet. I exited Google Talk (because it would keep trying and trying to connect) and left the rest of the programs running. The only thing I did while this test was running was stare at the SpeedFan display.

Here is the progression of temps:

8:35pm I started SpeedFan. HD - 88, CPU - 107 CPU usage is consistently 0.0% - 2.0%.
HD - 99, CPU - 107 Fan noise increases.
HD - 100, CPU - 107 CPU usage percentage starts hitting 4%.
8:49pm HD - 100, CPU 140 CPU usage is now consistently 2%-5%.
HD - 100, CPU - 142
HD - 100, CPU - 143
HD - 100, CPU - 145
8:51pm test ended

After the CPU temp hit 145 it just went off the charts and CPU usage went to 40% then 53% then 100%. I shut it down after that because I'm now afraid of frying something.

Thoughts?