Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Restarting problem...

• Please log in to reply

alien13

alien13

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi,

Im having that da*n restarting problem on my old computer :whistling:

Ok. This all started happening a while ago when windows XP home decided it would continouelsy restart. So i scanned the computer with virus, trojan, adware and all that and it didnt find anything, so i thought well a fresh install would be a good idea, i was wrong. It all went fine, (the formatting,setup), until it came to the part where it asks to put in the time, serial key, language and all that info, it restarts and it contues to do this so it was stuck at this part....

Until last night the computer was out of order, when i decided to put on windows 95, it all went perfect and no restarting... So i thought well why not upgrade 95 to 98SE so i did that all went fine but as soon as it loads to the desktop it restarts.

Why is this happening, windows 95 works perfectly fine, its just 98SE and XP Home that restarts.

Any help would be GREAT, i have had this problem for a few months now and the computer is really testing my patience...

P.S - If this helps, its fairly old and slow so we decided to update it a bit, we put in more ram (64mb+128mb+521mb of ram) a new video card (Ati Radeon 9600PRO AGP) and a new CPU (from 733mhz to 1.0ghz), The PSU is 250w.

Advertisements

TakeBK

TakeBK

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
Could be alot of things but do the easy ones first.

Does it restart right away or like after 2 minutes?

Question : Did you ge any BEEP BIOS codes when the machine would start up ? Short Beeps , Long beeps these are codes that can be linked to you BIOS manufacture to note a problem every manufacture is a little different.

Example only

1 Looong beep memory error
2 Short beeps VGA /video error

With some compressed canned air blow all the dust out of fans ,Cpu heat sink fins ,video card slots,PSU. Dust makes machines act wierd sometimes.

Check all connections PSU to MOBO

Make sure RAM is seated properly

Take out the video card and use the on board for now.

Dissconect everything except Keyboard,Monitor,Mouse, OS hard drive and 1 CD ROM

Try reloading windows

alien13

alien13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Ok.

Well when it gets to the desktop it will stay there for 1-3 seconds than restart. There is a short beep a few seconds after it restarts or i turn the computer on.

I will try what you said and get back to you later.

Thanks

[update] Well i took out everything and just left in the things you said, but i had to put in a video card as the on board one was useable by the moniter.

I put in the windows XP home cd and i deleted the partiotion created a new one and then let it do the setup. It then said it will restart and continue the setup, it restarted and it got to the winodws XP screen with the green scrolling bar and it restarts at that part every time..

What should i do?

Edited by alien13, 30 March 2006 - 03:37 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
try taking out all of the new ram and see if it will boot ...also...a 250 watt psu is pretty weak...especially for a newer graphix card...can you try witht he old card that was in the machine? (i'm gonna point at either the psu being too weak, or the ram being incompatible)

TakeBK

TakeBK

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
Since you got the beep what is the make and model of your box so I can look up motherboard BIOS bep codes and see what that says.

Try to get the onboard video working so you can take out the 9600 you have

In your BIOS is your onboard video "Enabled"

Try taking out all the RAM and only leave in the 256MB chip in the first slot .

Have to agree with dsenette 250 is kinda low on the PSU.

Don't know specs of 9600 pro you have but my 9800 pro recommended MINUMUM 350w it would most likely run on 250 but stress things out after awhile and also your online video games real Laggy/SLuggish

Regards,
TakeBK

alien13

alien13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
ok, well i tried it with just the original ram in and it still did it so it cant be the ram. I put in the old graphics card (ASUS PCI-V775V2C) and it still restarted.

The motherboard we have is a MS-6309.

If you need any other information just let me know.

Thanks Alien13

[edit] I got a 400w PSU and it still restarts, i dont know what it could be casuing it?

Edited by alien13, 31 March 2006 - 02:07 AM.

alien13

alien13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi,

Sorry to bring up this thread again but im still having the problem :whistling:

It only seems to restart with Windows XP Home (in the middle of the install), Windows 98SE (at the desktop) and i tried installing Ubuntu but it also restarts during install i dont know whats happening.

It couldnt be the PSU as its brand new......

Any help is appreciated.... Alien13

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
brand new doesn't mean functional...they can be bad (i doubt it...seriously..but it could be)....so it's restarting DURING setup of xp...(98 you can install...but it still restarts once you get to the desktop correct?) do you by chance have another HD that you can format and test with?

alien13

alien13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Yes, on the XP install it goes to the part where it says "The computer will restart in 15 seconds..... the setup will continue after the restart" it restarts gets to the windows XP logo screen with the green loading bar and restarts.

I have the original 10gb HD that came with the computer. I tried to install XP on it a few days ago but it still restarted at the same spot.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
you've tested the ram, you've tried more than one vid card...more than one HD....at this point i'm gonna point my monkey finger at the proc or the mobo...take out the AGP video card and plug your monitor into the onboard video card....UNPLUG everything off the mobo except the ram and ONE HD....while the machine is open and unplugged fromt the wall..remove the CMOS battery (the only battery on the board...looks like a nickle)...hold the power button in for about 5 seconds...put the battery back in...button up the case...plug it up...turn the sucker on and see if you get a display out of the onboard graphix (you should...as we've just reset the bios to defaults..which should re-enable the onboard card)...if so...try to install windows again

alien13

alien13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Ok,

well i did everything you said, except for the onboard video card as the monitor we have, the cord that plugs into the video card wont fit into the onboard card because the only 2 inputs it has are both too big for the cord

Here are some pics of the onboard and the cord (the cord isnt the best of quality)

Onboard = http://img148.images.../comp0019td.jpg

Cord = http://img148.images.../comp0020uw.jpg

I have to go to bed now (got school tomorrow) i will reply back if you need anything else.

Thanks for all your help, alien13 :whistling:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
ah...well if those are the only ports on the back of the machine....then you don't have on board video....none of those ports are video ports...

alien13

alien13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
ah, ok.

This is a weird problem, as the computer works perfectly fine with windows 95 :whistling: