Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Manual keylogger defense

• Please log in to reply

Super Geek

Super Geek

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi, I was interested in using SLAX OS from a burnt CD in order to avoid the threat of spyware etc. Is this an *absolute* way of eliminating spyware.

As I understand it, no spyware can save itself onto the CD as it cannot be written over, so therefore each time you boot from the CD, you should be 100% spyware free. However, I was wondering, the other day I reformatted my computer and I re-connected the internet before I re-installed all my anti-spyware programs and firewall etc. and I noticed that from just 10 minutes of surfing that I had 60 infections when I ran a test and had to re-format again. So, will spyware just download itself onto my computer as soon as I go online with the CD slax OS?

Although none of the spyware can save itself, and each time I restart I will be completely free of it, will it still be able to get me for the session that I perform in between turning on and off my computer? ie. will it be able to quickly infect me and spy on me without actually saving itself permanently onto my computer?

I hope you understand what I mean, as I plan to boot from my CD copy of SLAX for logging into private accounts etc. Am I correct in assuming that I will be completely safe and spyware free (100%).?

Ant help will be much appreciated.

Advertisements

Super Geek

Super Geek

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I recently thought of an idea to eliminate the threat of keyloggers manually, and was wondering how effective it was in every ones opinion.

What you do is: open note pad, then open the relevant site/program that requires you to type sensitive information into (password etc.). Type one digit of your passwrd/sensitive information, then go into note pad and type a large amount of random keys (letters, numbers, everything) and then return to your password/sensitive information and type the next digit, and so forth. This way a keylogger report would provide no passwords etc. it would just be a large amount of random nothingness.

I was wondering, are there keylogger which can distinguish between *where* you type the keys? ie. could one know that you typed some keys into note pad, and other keys into somewhere else (internet etc.)?

Super Geek

Super Geek

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I understand that running multiple anti-viruses programs can cause problems and actually yield less defense than if you just ran one. Is this the case with ant-spyware programs as well?

If I ran Spyware Doctors' "On guard protection", Zone Alarms pros' "ant-spyware' and SpyGuards' real time protection all at once, would this produce conflict and hence less protection?

Crustyoldbloke

Crustyoldbloke

Old Malware Surgeon with a shaky scalpel

• Retired Staff
  • 15,131 posts
Hello and welcome

Just a small point, you can't have three live threads since you hight get three helpers thus depriving others.

I have read all three posts and here are my thoughts.

CD OS? It would be very secure and clean each time you booted, but it will also be painfully slow. The XP restore point is basically that principle.

Your keylogger solution is pure genius. :whistling:

Multiple AS programmes - you are correct. We recommend one only for real-time scanning with all others being used for on-demand scanning.

Thanks for the tips.

Super Geek

Super Geek

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Which anti-spyware would you recommend then? I currently use spyware doctor, zone alarm anti-spyware (part of zone alarm pro) and spyware guard all at once. Which two should I disable?

I understand that the CD OS would be clean each time that i reboot, however, as I mentioned I noticed spyware was visable on my computer within minute of using the internet in large amounts. So, wouldn't it be able to just get in and monitor everything for as long as I am online. Even though it will not be saved and will be wiped once I turn off my computer, it may have been able to send some info off to its creator while I was online though right? Or does a CD OS completely block it?

Thanks for appreciating my keylogger idea :whistling: I have been using it for private accounts ever since I though of it the other day. So there's no way to tell *where* you have typed something, they only record keystrokes, regardless of what program the keys were typed into?

Thanks.

Edited by Super Geek, 30 March 2006 - 03:11 AM.