Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Why are these 2 PC's not able to communicate? Please help!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

qball419

qball419

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
This driving me crazy. Ok…here’s the deal. I have a Dell with Windows 2003 Server and it has 2 NIC’s—but the one that I am concern with has an IP of 192.168.2.1. This is connected to a Linksys 4-port switch. I have also have an IBM (also with Server 2003) that is also connected to that switch. The IBM’s NIC has an IP of 192.168.2.100. Both of these IP addresses are statically configured. The cables, switch, and NICs are working fine...double-checked on them. Both machine indicated that its NIC are indeed “Connected”. But for some reason, they are not able to communicate with one another. I can’t ping either machine from either computer. I have no idea what is going on. There is no firewall on either machine. Both have the same subnet mask. They are on the same subnet…yet can’t ping. Why?

Here are some more info: The default gateway of my Dell's NIC is blank. It is left black because my Dell has another interface, which is 192.168.1.100. This interface's default gateway points to my NAT server (for Internet access) which is 192.168.1.1. On my IBM, the default gateway of my NIC (192.168.2.100) is 192.168.2.1.

So, the setup looks like this: NAT(1.1)---Dell NIC1(1.100)||Dell NIC2(2.1)---switch-----IBM NIC(2.100).

Seems to me like when you have two machines that are on the same network as indicated by their IP and subnet mask. You hook them via a simple switch, then you should be able to ping and communicate, but this is not happening. I have no idea at this point why that is. Maybe I am missing something here.

Can somehow please tell me how to troubleshoot this? Any advice here would be great. I just can’t think of anything at this point.

Q

Advertisements

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
Hey there gball419. Welcome to Geeks To Go Forums

I have noticed you have posted double. As this seems to be a network problem. Please would everybody continue posting here:

http://www.geekstogo...opic=105434&hl=

This topic will be closed shortly.

Thank you. Cool :whistling: