Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Weird Windows

• Please log in to reply

DarkLion357

DarkLion357

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
[size=3]Hello Geeks

Here's one for ya. When ever I click on a folder in my C: or any folders on my desktop(which are shortcuts to the folder, DUH) the Windows Search program opens!!! How weird is that? If I wanted the search, Id just get it from my start menu, but apparently, Windows does it differently. I do have one click control for my mouse but do not think that would make this hapen. Any ideas, oh Great Geeks of Earth??

later
The Lion

Advertisements

DarkLion357

DarkLion357

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Also guys and gals, to combat this annoyance, I have to Right Click, Open, to get into the folders, but I should not have to do that, one click and I should be in the folder

later
The Lion

Edited by DarkLion357, 30 March 2006 - 02:08 AM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
They have this for double click

SUMMARY
When you double-click any folder, Windows may launch the Search Companion screen instead of displaying the selected folder.

CAUSE

This issue is due to the incorrect registry values and can be resolved by changing the Default key value to None.

RESOLUTION

NOTE: It is recommended to have a good backup of Windows Registry before applying the solution, as incorrect modifications may cause severe problems, and you may need to reinstall Windows operating system.

Go to Windows registry.
Navigate to the following registry key:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Shell

Double-click Default key in the right window pane and change the value to None
Save and Restart Windows.

http://support.micro...kb/555439/en-us

NOTE: If you configure the Single-click to open an item (point to select) setting in Windows, this problem may occur if you single-click a drive or folder.

http://support.micro...kb/321186/en-us

DarkLion357

DarkLion357

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Keith,

First off thanks for replying. Now that info is listed for a double click. Since I changed mine to single click,does this registry change still apply to that problem? I will wait for your reply, before i go ahead with any guesswork in the registry. We all know how much fun that is!!

Later
The Lion

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
According to the sentence between the links (from 2nd link)

NOTE: If you configure the Single-click to open an item (point to select) setting in Windows, this problem may occur if you single-click a drive or folder.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Unless they mean you have to double click things, but what would be the point of having single click

G2sebring

G2sebring

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Is the directory folder the little *? Because in that folder there is a shell. But doin a search for HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Shell doesnt bring up any searches

actually nevermind about that, i wasnt looking hard enough for directory but i found it now.

Thanks for the help with the registry stuff, without that i would have been driven to insanity

Edited by G2sebring, 30 March 2006 - 09:20 AM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank You for letting me know

DarkLion357

DarkLion357

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Keith,

I read that Microcrap link and it does say if you change to single click functions, this problem will occur. Funny how they do not list solutions for the single click, only the double click. I think after reading that link, which thank you again for finding it, I will settle for right clicking, and choosing open. I really like the one click operation, cuz doesn't it annoy you when you go to double click something and you misfire and it doesn't open? lol Well, once again thanks for the help. I can't wait to get my new notebook with XP Pro instead of having to rely on my desktop all the time and their stupid functions,lol.

Later
The Lion

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
This is how mine is and it does not do what you get

[attachment=7616:attachment]