Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Limited or no connectivity!

• Please log in to reply

Munira

Munira

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello,

I have a brand new laptop. I have tried searching this site for other options before i posted this, but nothings solved. My baby is a Sony Vaio, running with XP home edition. And i am using a cable to connect to the LAN in my office.

All i am doing is removing the connection from the PC onto my laptop. I thought it should be straight forward... but not.

It shows me the LAN connection icon, with a yellow warning sign attached to it and says "Limited or no connectivity."

I tried to repair it but gives me an error in "renewing your ip address".

tried ipconfig, with release and renew options, but to no avail.

Details on ipconfig gives:

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 169.254.236.194
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

I know there is nothing to set in the network... it is some setting on my laptop, becasue once i plug the cable back onto the PC it works fine.

Any suggestions are welcome.
Munira

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Try this

http://www.geekstogo...n=download&id=7

This Utility Restores (WinSock and TCP/IP) Registry Keys, that may become Corrupt after Removing the Host Program that Modified them

Munira

Munira

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Try this

http://www.geekstogo...n=download&id=7

This Utility Restores (WinSock and TCP/IP) Registry Keys, that may become Corrupt after Removing the Host Program that Modified them

Thanks for your reply keith, but that didn't work.

Any other suggestions...

Munira

Munira

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Thanks for your reply keith, but that didn't work.

Any other suggestions...

ipconfig /renew gives
an error occurred while renewing interface Local Area Connecction : unable to contact your DHCP server. Request has timed out.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Automated troubleshooting
For most issues that involve Internet connectivity, start by using the Network Diagnostics tool to identify the source of the issue. To use Network Diagnostics, follow these steps: 1. Click Start, and then click Help and Support.
2. Click the link to Use Tools to view your computer information and diagnose problems, and then click Network Diagnostics in the list on the left.
3. When you click Scan your system, Network Diagnostics gathers configuration information and performs automated troubleshooting of the network connection.
4. When the process is completed, look for any items that are marked "FAILED" in red, expand those categories, and then view the additional details about what the testing showed.
You can either use that information to resolve the issue or you can provide the information to a network support professional for help. If you compare the tests that failed with the documentation in the Manual Troubleshooting section later in this article, you may be able to determine the source of the issue. To interpret the results for TCP/IP, expand the Network Adapters section of the results, and then expand the network adapter that failed the testing.

You can also start the Network Diagnostics interface directly by using the following command:

netsh diag gui

Also

http://support.micro...kb/314067/en-us

Munira

Munira

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Automated troubleshooting
For most issues that involve Internet connectivity, start by using the Network Diagnostics tool to identify the source of the issue. To use Network Diagnostics, follow these steps: 1. Click Start, and then click Help and Support.
2. Click the link to Use Tools to view your computer information and diagnose problems, and then click Network Diagnostics in the list on the left.
3. When you click Scan your system, Network Diagnostics gathers configuration information and performs automated troubleshooting of the network connection.
4. When the process is completed, look for any items that are marked "FAILED" in red, expand those categories, and then view the additional details about what the testing showed.
You can either use that information to resolve the issue or you can provide the information to a network support professional for help. If you compare the tests that failed with the documentation in the Manual Troubleshooting section later in this article, you may be able to determine the source of the issue. To interpret the results for TCP/IP, expand the Network Adapters section of the results, and then expand the network adapter that failed the testing.

You can also start the Network Diagnostics interface directly by using the following command:

netsh diag gui

Also

http://support.micro...kb/314067/en-us

Ran the network diagonistic , and it passed it. with no failed.
The only thing that looks suspicious, is the Internet Explorer Web proxy apprears as not configured.

It is a brand new laptop... so it has to be a setting thing...

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Will move this to networking now

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
If it's a brand new laptop, has it ever been connected to any network before? First thing I'd check would be to see if you have the latest NIC drivers, and to ensure that everything is installed properly. Right-click on My Computer --> Select Manage --> Select Device Manager --> Is there any warning mark beside Network Adapters? --> Expand Network Adapters by clicking on the [+] and ensure that your Network Adapter is listed there.

Also, make sure that you have actually run the Network Setup Wizard on the laptopn --
Run the Network Setup Wizard:
  • Goto Start --> Programs --> Accessories --> Communications --> Network Setup Wizard.
  • The first thing to do when the wizard appears is read the welcome message, and then click Next.
  • Read the 'Before you continue....' message, and then click Next.
  • Select the option This computer connects to the Internet through a residential gateway or another computer on my network, and then press Next.
  • Now, type in a Description for your computer; ie: Jimmy's Computer.
  • Enter a Computer Name (or leave it as it's Default), and then press Next.
  • Enter a Workgroup Name -- or leave it as it's default, and then press Next.
  • If you want to share files and/or your printer with other computers on the network, select the option Turn on file and printer sharing and press Next.
  • Check the information; if it is all fine, press Next.
Now, try to connect your laptop to the network; can you?

chbrules

chbrules

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Windows assigns the adapter some random class B address when there is no IP resolved from a DHCP server on the network. What you have to do is manually enter in the information in the properties and tcp/ip properties of the network adapter.

Start->Settings->Network Connections->"Your adapter"->Properties->double click Internet Protocol(TCP/IP)

Now on a working system on the network, go up to the point of opening "Your adapter" or the LAN PC, then go to the support tab. If the IP range is something like 192.168.1.xxx, enter in the same number but a couple values higher for the IP address. If it's 192.168.1.55, do 192.168.1.69 or something. Copy the rest of the info in. Something like this:

IP: 192.168.1.69
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.1.1
DNS 1: 192.168.1.1 (Usually the same as the gateway on small networks)

That's a good guess for it, you might want to look up the instructions from your router though and find the default address of the router so you'll know if the address range is 192.168.0.xxx or 192.168.1.xxx, or maybe another range all together.

Edited by chbrules, 31 March 2006 - 06:06 AM.