Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Gunshy Now, Do I Need New Anti-Virus/Spyware?

• Please log in to reply

Davexx1

Davexx1

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
After a particularly nasty and difficult to remove infection of Spy Falcon, and at the reccomendation of several computer trouble shooting guru's, I dumped all of the AOL Safety and Security programs then downloaded the free versions of Zone Alarm firewall, AVG anti- virus, and a host of other free anti-spyware programs, did many manual on line scans, log analiysis, and such. We successfully cleaned the PC (I think).

Now it seems that I am constantly having to update all of these programs, do follow up scans, am finding and having to remove Trojan Horse Generic Downloaders, etc.

Zone Alarm appears to be a good product but it is driving me crazy with pop up messages and warnings that I have to resopnd to. I may be able to disable some of this but it seems by doing so I may be compromising the protection it affords.

All of this trouble has made using my home PC a chore and taken much of the fun out of the experience.

If possible I would like to find a single package (free or purchase) that has it all, will run in the background and not bombard me with messages, warnings, set up questions, etc.

Would any of the popular brand "packages" such as Symantic, Norton, McAffie, etc. provide better protection and require less involvement???

Thanlks for any feedback.

Dave

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Zone Alarm pop ups have a tick to remember option (allow / deny)

Which programmes have you got?

Please go here:

Malware Removal Guide

Run all the programmes as advised then post a current Hijack This Log in a new topic in the Malware Forum

For the purpose of accurate malware analysis, Hijack This Logs are only dealt with in the Malware Forum. Posting them anywhere else will result in a delayed response

If you are unable to run any of the programmes, ask for advice in the Malware Forum

Davexx1

Davexx1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I followed the step by step instructions and finally got rid of Spy Falcon.

Presently have the free versions of AVG anti-virus, Zone Alarm firewall, and also have the free versions of Spy Sweeper (soon to expire), SywareBlaster, Stinger 260, Ad Aware, A2 Squared, Ewido, Trojan Remover, and CCleaner. I think most of these are manual start/run/scan type programs. Have also done the manual on line scans by Trend Micro and others.

What I want and need is an adequate complete package that is simple and easy and pretty much takes care of itself (and me).

Dave

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Once you get through the tick to remember pop ups from ZA, that deals with itself, spywareblaster runs itself, though you need to check for updates, CCleaner can be set to run at start up, AVG Free should check for updates, unless they changed that

Ad-aware se is manual scan and update

Ask in a new topic in the Malware forum about the value of these

Stinger 260, A2 Squared, Ewido, Trojan Remover