Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Fans system problem! NEED HELP!

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
:whistling: I have an Compaq Presario SR1620NX with the motherboard MSI MS-7184.
Yesterday, I replaced the old AMD Sempron 3400+ with an AMD Athlon 64 3700+ San Deigo. After everything was install, the screen tell me that the CPU cooling devide did not work; and for safety, the computer shut down in like 10 seconds. I checked the fan connector (3-pin fan), power supply, everything was in place. I still see the fan spinning???
Oh, there are two fan connectors-3pin on my motherboard, one is brown and the others is white. THe AMD fan-connector of Athlon 64 is brown so I connected it to the brown 3-pin, and it spin. I did try to connect to the white one but it did not spin)
So I wonder what is happening? Does anybody have an explannation or solution?
Thanks for helping! :blink:

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
Hi, and Welcome to GTG :whistling:.

The CPU power output for the heatsink/fan power is always closest to the CPU, and usually, when looking at a motherboard its the top right. The other output, on the motherboard, which is more towards the center, is for the motherboard chip's fans (some cheaper motherboards dont even use one), it is also used sometimes for the graphics card. Try the fan power plug in the connector closest to the CPU.

If the problem still persists, then there is a chance your heatsink and fan is not designed for that CPU, or is designed for a slower speed CPU.

Also, MAKE SURE that the "step up" on the heatsink is placed correctly on the step next to where the processor is based.