Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Media Player Problem

• Please log in to reply

Angel420Marie

Angel420Marie

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hello! I use Windows Media Player and it works fine on it's own. When I try to view videos on myspace or Aol (clips of the week, etc.) it won't work. Nothing happens, nothing plays. I tried adjusting my security settings but it didn't work so I set them back to default. It actually used to work for me, now it doesn't. Please help! Thanks in advance,
Angelina

Advertisements

Angel420Marie

Angel420Marie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I run Windows XP and have automatic windows updates - so I'm all updated. Does anyone have any idea why the videos won't work for me? I would reallt appreciate any help anyone could offer. I use internet explorer. Thanks.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Hi:

Not familiar with the formats used at AOL or myspace. Are these compatible with Windows Media Player?

Ron

Angel420Marie

Angel420Marie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Yeah - where the videos play it's a mini WMP. Last week it worked - this week it doesn't. I did a roll back in Restore, but it didn't change back.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Does it give you any kind of error message? Are you using the latest version of Windows Media Player?

Angel420Marie

Angel420Marie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Nope, no error message - just won't play. I push the play button and nothing happens. Yes, it's the latest version of WMP.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Before we make any changes, please create a system restore point by going to Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore. Create a restore point for today. Call it "dial-a-fix"

Next, download Dial-a-fix from http://fileforum.bet...ll/1131569373/2

When you download it, double-click on it to extract all of its files. Then open the folder it creates. Double-click on the file called Dial-a-fix.

Put a check next to the boxes of the following items (they are in order from upper-left to lower-right):
  • Install Windows Script Host
  • Install VB6 runtime
  • Active X controls/codecs
  • Direct[X/Draw/Show/Media]
  • Programming cores/runtimes
  • Explorer/IE/OE/shell/WMP

After you put a check next to those, click on GO. When it is done fixing, restart your computer. See if the problem still exists. If any problems occur, or the situation gets worse, go back to the restore point I had you create.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 01 April 2006 - 01:40 PM.

Angel420Marie

Angel420Marie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I did what you said, but I still can't view videos.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Download the latest version of DirectX and install it.

DirectX download

Angel420Marie

Angel420Marie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Thanks. Downloaded Direct X and installed it - still no luck.

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Try this one from microsoft.

http://www.microsoft...e/0064.mspx#460

Edited by The Skeptic, 04 April 2006 - 02:17 PM.

Angel420Marie

Angel420Marie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I did everything it said to do there and it still didn't work. I get an error message now - it's error message C00D11BB. I did a search on it and I tried a few of the things that people suggested. I reinstalled WMP and made sure it plays all file types and I also made sure that Realplayer was the default for only real player files. Not sure what to do now. It still doesn't work. I even tried installing codecs.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Try installing these codecs, if you haven't already done so:

http://www.free-code..._Codec_Pack.htm

Angel420Marie

Angel420Marie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hey - I installed it - restarted and still no luck... thanks, though

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Please download and run hijackthis Do a scan and then save a log. Take the log and ATTACH IT (do not post) to your next post.

We do not like to post hijackthis logs in sections other than the malware forum as we do not want to encourage people to post malware issues in this forum.

I am not looking for malware. I am looking for what programs or combinations of programs might cause this behavior. If I notice any malware, I will redirect you to the malware forum.