Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Reboot Loop

• Please log in to reply

MoonZingy

MoonZingy

• Pip
  • 7 posts
So spontaneously my other computer will not restart completely. At first it displays an error message giving you choices on how to reboot such as safe mode, last know configuration, normally, and it basically goes into a loop with the error message again. Help please ?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
so you press the power button...machine goes through POST...shows the bios stuf....then gives you the options to pick between safe mode and all that jazz? what happens when you pick each of those options

MoonZingy

MoonZingy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Basically all options respond the same way, it goes back into the restart loop again and back to the error screen

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
do you by chance have an xp cd?

also...is there anything y ou can thnk of that you did right before this happened? (installed any software or hardware?)

MoonZingy

MoonZingy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I have an xp setup cd for drivers and utilities. Im pretty sure that no changes or any programs were installed before the error. Also on the startup screen i can access the setup and boot menu, would any of these options help?

MoonZingy

MoonZingy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Oh i also have a reinstallation cd for Windows XP

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
what kind of computer is this? (hp, dell, etc..)
would you by chance be able to borrow an xp cd of the same type that is installed on your machine? (i.e. xp pro, or home, sp1 or sp2)

MoonZingy

MoonZingy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Its a Dell computer, what type of cd do you mean? Would any of those mentioned above work?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well...dells ship with recovery cd's...they are however not actual full xp OS cd's...which is what i'm wanting you to have....to see if we can do a repair of xp....as well as some other tests...

MoonZingy

MoonZingy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
hmmm I dont seem to have one. However if i was able to find one from someone, could you give me instructions on what to do ahead of time
Or is there a way to buy this cd? and will the recovery wipe out my files and such

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well...if you get an actual xp cd what i'm going to want you to do with it is two fold

#1, i want you to boot to the xp cd and let it load up the setup program (we're not reinstalling xp so if you see anything about formatting or installing..don't press it) once that loads up choose the R option for recovery console...it will ask for your administrator password (if you don't know it..try leaving it blank)...you will then be greated by a c:\ prompt...once at the prompt type chkdks /r and let that run to completion (usually 45 minutes) report back any errors

#2 we'll jump that bridge when we get to it...let's stick with #1 for now

MoonZingy

MoonZingy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Alrighty sounds like a plan, Ill try to get a hold of that precious cd. Thanks a bunch.. i'll come back if i need anything else