Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Some internet problems that are giving me a headache...

• Please log in to reply

Crazy North

Crazy North

• PipPip
  • 78 posts
Recently after doing a system restore I simply lost some functions on the internet. I can't delete messages in my Yahoo mailbox (really annoying, not even the Bulk mail), I can't use fast replies, insert image, clickable smilies on message boards/forums. I keep clicking on "delete messages" "fast reply" etc. but nothing is happening.
Also, there are some images on the net that I can't see anymore. Sometimes I have to clear history to be able to see Google search images.

My computer has already been cleared by the mallware people, on this website.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD and Windows File Protection will show a blue onscreen progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot

Download and install Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run Tune Up Disc Clean Up

Run Tune Up Registry Clean Up

Click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, which will take a few minutes and need a reboot. You should disable the antivirus programme to run this and check it is running after the reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

Crazy North

Crazy North

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
I don't have a Windows XP CD, is it possible to skip this part "Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD and Windows File Protection will show a blue onscreen progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot"

... and go straight to Tune Up 2006 clean ups and etc. ?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Run it and click skip when it asks for the CD, if it asks lots, click cancel, then you know you need to borrow one because files are missing

Crazy North

Crazy North

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
I got the CD from which my Windows was installed but when I run sfc /scannow this message keeps popping up "Files that are required for Windows to run properly must be copied to the DLL Cache Insert your Windows XP Professional CD-ROM now". The blue bar goes but this message appeared at least 5 times. I can keep clicking "retry" and the bar will still progress but I'm afraid that Windows may not work properly after that.

What should I do, that's the only XP cd I can get...

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Have you got Home or Pro?

Crazy North

Crazy North

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Service Pack 2

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You will need to get your XP CD and locate the folder called:

I386

copy this onto your hard drive into the system root. For most, that is going to be C:\ so you will create a C:\I386 folder

Click start then run, type regedit then press enter, locate the following key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup

You will see various entries here on the right hand side. The one you need is called SourcePath there may be two similar keys, it is the 2nd of the two, source path

It probably has an entry pointing to your CD-ROM drive, you need to change it to C:\

Simply double click the SourcePatch setting and a new box will pop up allowing you to make the change.

Reboot the PC and run sfc /scannow

Crazy North

Crazy North

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
A little before the end of copying I386 folder, this message appeared Cannot copy MSMINCHO: Data error (cyclic redundancy check). The folder I386 is copied but I don't know if it's entirely copied. Should I continue with the other tasks?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Run Tune Up then try sfc

Advertisements

Crazy North

Crazy North

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
I ran Tune Up Disc Clean Up and Tune Up Registry Clean Up, and then sfc but the same message appears...

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then run, type chkdsk /f /r then press enter, type Y to confirm for next boot, press enter then reboot.

Windows will appear to load normally then either the monitor will show progress or the screen will go blank, do not disturb this. This will take an hour or so before it gets to the desktop.

Crazy North

Crazy North

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
Ok, I've done this... What should I do next?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Still the same?

Crazy North

Crazy North

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
Yeah, still the same problems...

Maybe I've missed something? I've only done Tune Up and chkdsk /f /r. I haven't done sfc, regedit HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup
and etc.

Edited by Crazy North, 03 April 2006 - 12:46 PM.