Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help! Cant get a connection, DHCP client corrupt?

• Please log in to reply

hardvinyljunkie

hardvinyljunkie

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
Tried connecting my LapTop (IBM T20 P3 700mhz, XP Pro) to my broadband modem that I am using on this Desktop pc however I could not get a connection, so after speaking to my ISP and trying a few fixes they tell me that it is my DHCP client that is at fault, and offcourse they dont know how to fix this!
ARGH!!!
The laptop has not been used for over 12 months due to a smashed screen. I have recently replaced the screen and booted up for first time and all looked good.
However its been a few days and it has been crashing (blue screen), while my kids play sims etc.
so i installed Norton system works ran all the utilities and found 200+registry errors etc so ran a fix.
Been more stable now however since then i now get a message as soon as i log in saying: office web server configuration wizard - missing or incorrect command line parameters.
Unsure if this is to do with my connection issues?

Connection issues:
ISP asked me to type cmd in run and then ipconfig and result was:

Ethernet adapter local area connection:
Connection-specific DNS suffix:
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . . :0.0.0.0
Subnet mask. . . . . . . . . . . .:0.0.0.0
Default Gateway. . . . . . . . . .:

Then in run i typed: services.msc and navagate to DHCP client and Dbl click.
This gives General settings, with path to execute box:C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe-k netsvcs

Start Up Type: Automatic

Service status: Stopped

And when i press start i get an error message saying: Could not start theDHCP client sevice on local computer. ERROR 1068. the dependency service or group failed to start.

Help!! £60.00 new screen, £30.00 Router........and cant get the thing to work! :blink:

I will make a donation if anyone can assist. :whistling:

Thanks
HardVinylJunkie

Edited by hardvinyljunkie, 03 April 2006 - 12:02 PM.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/dhcp.htm give that a read and see if it helps

hardvinyljunkie

hardvinyljunkie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Thanks for replying, I am a novice at this and I have read your link and i will try it however, how do i navigate to %Windir%\System32\Drivers folder ?
windows explorer?
FORGET I JUST ASKED THAT,I found it i think, START-C:-WINDOWS-SYSTEM32-DRIVERS- then i see them.

Edited by hardvinyljunkie, 30 March 2006 - 01:40 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
do start > run > then type this %systemroot%\system32\drivers in the window that comes up...it should open the folder up for you

hardvinyljunkie

hardvinyljunkie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
YEAH, That fixed it! Thanks a million dsenette.
I found an extra Driver apart from the 3 no that were required, SYMTDI which is still in my device manager however it has a yellow exclamation mark on it as does a yellow question mark in other devices.
Now I can get online with it should I will make a new post and a hijack this log to see why it is so slow and unstable compared to pre-new screen?

What catagory would be best for this new post?

Once again many thanks so far.

HardVinylJunkie

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE .

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.