Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Google Earth

• Please log in to reply

Silver_Fox

Silver_Fox

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
Hi All

My neighbour and I both run similar computers (Dell Dimension), with similar spec. exception being he has a modern flat screen to my standard CRT. Both on 2Mb broadband.

On Google Earth his defination of our local area in the UK is FAR superior to mine. I can't understand why.

I have downloaded the latest driver for my GC Nvidia Geforce4 MX 420 with no improvement.

Any ideas how I can improve.

Edited by Silver_Fox, 30 March 2006 - 01:11 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Clear the cache in Google Earth. You're probably looking at the map that was downloaded a few weeks ago.

Do this by going to Tools -> Options -> Cache in Google Earth. Clear memory cache and disk cache. As soon as you do this, you'll see the program start downloading again.

Silver_Fox

Silver_Fox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Absolutely brilliant. Worked a treat. Many, many thanks.

If you get time perhaps you could enlighten me on the following.

Is the size of the cache's important?

Is it necessary to clear them before the resolution becomes poor.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Cache makes loading the images faster as they are allready on your computer bigger the cache the faster butit uses up space you might want for somethng else and as youve seen you need to clear it now and again to get new images.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

Is the size of the cache's important?

Depends how far around the planet you go in Google Earth. A decent size is good because as you go to new places, it pushes the older images out so when you go back there again it won't find them in the cache so will grab them again from Google. In theory anyway, though this is how it works in Windows and I've never let my cache build up enough in Google Earth to test it.

Is it necessary to clear them before the resolution becomes poor.

No, but the cache can get corrupted on occasion and because everybody is using the same database for Google Earth, it occasionally can't get all the data it wants so it just stops in mid-blur. But a clean doesn't hurt on occasion - it'll just download the stuff again.