Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trouble Uninstalling A Program

• Please log in to reply

hysteria

hysteria

• PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
Hello,

I currently have two threads on this board concerning two different problems, so I'm sorry if my name pops up twice, ComputerWiz and SuperSam were nice enough to help me in the other thread, and I'm wondering if any one else can help me fix this other little problem I have.

A while back I bought an external DVD burning Drive and it came with the Roxio media package. I loved the program but it was weighing too much memory on my computer, so as of lately I had to delete it. It had no uninstall file in the startup or directory, so I proceeded to manually delete the files. Well that was well and good, and I have my memory now, but for some reason now everytime I go to move a file into another, or move pictures from my digital camera to the desktop, anything that involves moving a file/folder to another folder, this installation thing pops up for installing it again. I've add/removed the program and this dang thing still pops up.

So here are two screenshots of what I am seeing:

So let's say I move a file to a folder.. this pops up

Posted Image

Then you hear an error bleep (for XP) and then you have to click cancel on this same thing because nothing else pops up..

And after clicking cancel you see this.. and you shut it off and you are on your merry way

Posted Image

How would I fix this problem? :whistling:
You are definetely the guys to ask. Thank you for your help.

Sincerely,
Daniel

Edited by hysteria, 30 March 2006 - 02:06 PM.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
do you have the original install media for the software? if so reinstall it and then use add/remove programs to uninstall it...your manual deletion has messed it up..

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Hi, my 2cts worth, if you still have the cd I think the easiest thing would be to reinstall the program correctly, ah and then using the add/remove panel remove it correctly.

I repeat, no manual deleting of files this time. clean install followed by clean uninstal.

Now if this does not work, we will move on to plan B, good luck and pls post back the result good or bad.

Edited by fleamailman, 30 March 2006 - 02:16 PM.

hysteria

hysteria

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

do you have the original install media for the software? if so reinstall it and then use add/remove programs to uninstall it...your manual deletion has messed it up..

Unfortuneately I do not have the original install software. It's been at least 2 years since I got this, plus I've been updating through the website. I have no clue where that dang disc is. Can we still fix this?

Thanks man,
-D

Edited by hysteria, 30 March 2006 - 02:17 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if you haven't turned off system restore you can restore the system to a date previous to the uninstall

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
sorry dsenette didn't kown you were on this one please continue then.

hysteria

hysteria

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
Well guys, I have restored my system to March 23rd, the earliest date that I could have. System Restore said "No Changes have been made to your Computer."

So I checked, and yes -- I still get the messages. I must have deleted it 3-4 days ago, not the 23rd. I had thought of system restore, but I know that it doesn't restore deleted files so.. :whistling:

I'm all ears, and I can't wait for a reply. Thanks guys

-D

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
plan B then,

press: windows botton and r botton
type; prefetch
look cerefuly for something that looks like the program
delete it

(prefetch files are all the stuff that windows collects on programs to boot them quicker and hopefully that is all it is as they can be deleted without worry)

btw what do their site give you on this problem.

Anyway, we like feedback good or bad so please post back and good luck, there is plan c too.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file, click delete, confirm, click start then run, type msconfig then press enter, click start up and look for anything Roxio related, remove the ticks, click apply, reboot

Click start then search, include hidden and system files, look for Roxio, send any to the recycle bin and leave them there, if you have anything which cleans the recycle bin at start up, turn it off and reboot

The exception to files found with search for Roxio, are those to do with media player, and any which are plug ins for other programmes, if you right click them then click properties, they should say Roxio

hysteria

hysteria

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file, click delete, confirm, click start then run, type msconfig then press enter, click start up and look for anything Roxio related, remove the ticks, click apply, reboot

Click start then search, include hidden and system files, look for Roxio, send any to the recycle bin and leave them there, if you have anything which cleans the recycle bin at start up, turn it off and reboot

The exception to files found with search for Roxio, are those to do with media player, and any which are plug ins for other programmes, if you right click them then click properties, they should say Roxio

Well, I followed what you wrote, but there were some things that I didn't understand.

I now have all my prefetch files and 'Roxio' files in the recycle bin.

I still get the installation message whenever I move a file/folder to another folder.

So my question is -- Do I delete everything in my recycle bin, including all of my prefetch files?

I am willing to follow your instructions to the T.

I know this is a free service, but you guys know that I appreciate it so much -- or else I wouldn't keep coming back here. You guys are the best.

Can you be a little clearer on what I should do next? Thanks man.

-Dan
((very tired))

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you click start then run, type msconfig then press enter, click start up to look for Roxio entries, including drag to disc, remove their ticks, click apply, reboot, tick do not start the configuration utility when windows loads

Download, install and run Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run Tune Up disc clean up

Run Tune Up registry clean up

Click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, the screen will lose colour during the process which can take a few minutes and then needs a reboot

Those will have cleared the drive of obsolete software errors

These are suggestions for making the most of the free trial

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot.

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

hysteria

hysteria

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
Okay. I did all of that and I guess my computer is Optimized now. You still didn't tell me whether I should have deleted the prefetch files or not, so I did do so, as long as all of the Roxio files that were in the recycle bin.

I still get the message that Roxio would like to install still everytime I move one file to another folder.

Is there another plan we can follow here guys?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Have you got drag to disc on there

hysteria

hysteria

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Have you got drag to disc on there

Yes?

I looked drag to disc up in search and some folders came up, and a text file. I tried to delete them, but it says "Cannot Delete Shellex: Access Denied"

I think this might be my problem, if you were hinting at it.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You should have drag to disc in the start up (msconfig) once you remove the tick for that, click apply and reboot, you should be able to remove the files

Drag To Disc is part of Roxio