Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Trouble Uninstalling A Program

• Please log in to reply

hysteria

hysteria

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
Yes, I know what Drag to Disc is.

One of the particular files that I've not been able to delete is this file called Shellex.dll

It seems to be at this address:
C:\Program Files\Roxio\Easy Media Creator 8\Drag to Disc

I've unticked and rebooted many times and I am never able to delete this.
Is there a way to delete this in safe mode?

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Get Unlocker from my signature, install the unlocker assistant option, set it to run at start up, reboot, locate the file, right click it, click delete and Unlocker should deal with it

hysteria

hysteria

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Get Unlocker from my signature, install the unlocker assistant option, set it to run at start up, reboot, locate the file, right click it, click delete and Unlocker should deal with it

You are pure genius! I've used the program to delete Shellex.dll!

I do have 2 more small things to tell you though:

#1) Everytime that I move a folder now, I see the error message for a split second (maybe 1/8th of a second). Even though I see it -- it does nothing and does not affect my ability to move files and folders about as I please.

#2) I was looking at the SyncToy in your signature, and tried to install it --- but when it did, it said that another program was currently installing on my computer and asked for me to retry -- I did .. and it said the same thing.

So does this mean that even though the message does not really come up anymore, that my computer thinks it is still trying to install the roxio thing again? I hope this doesn't happen with other things I try to install.

Thanks man,
Dan

Edited by hysteria, 05 April 2006 - 02:06 AM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
This is for Windows Installer Clean Up

http://download.micr...1bd/msicuu2.exe

Make sure it is set to uninstall Roxio only

Microsoft has updated the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility. With the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility, you can remove a program's Windows Installer configuration information. You may want to remove the Windows Installer configuration information for your program if you experience installation (Setup) problems. For example, you may have to remove a program's Windows Installer configuration information if you have installation problems when you try to add (or remove) a component of your program that was not included when you first installed your program.

The Windows Installer CleanUp Utility does not:

• Remove Windows Installer.

• Remove files of any programs that are installed by Windows Installer, such as Microsoft Office 2003.

The Windows Installer CleanUp Utility does:

• Provide a dialog box where you can select one or more programs that were installed by Windows Installer. You select the programs on the

Installed Products list in the Windows Installer CleanUp dialog box. After you make this selection, the utility removes only the Windows Installer configuration information that is related to those programs.

• Remove the files and registry settings that make up the Windows Installer configuration information for programs that you select.

If you use this utility to remove the Windows Installer configuration information for your program and you plan to reinstall the program, you should reinstall the program in the same folder where you originally installed it. This prevents duplication of files on your hard disk or disks.

Run through tune up again

Installer errors are usually cleared by rebooting

Re-installing windows installer may help

http://www.microsoft...&displaylang=en

You may have an entry still in prefetch, you can look for it manually, or delete the contents of the folder and reboot, then let it rebuild what it needs with current programme details