Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System Restore Won't Restore

• Please log in to reply

Leesie

Leesie

• PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
Hi,

Hope this is the right spot to post this.

Tried to do a system restore this morning. Came up with this : Restoration Incomplete Your computer cannot be restored to (date here) I tried about three different dates in the last two weeks and the same thing comes up.

Is there any way to get windows to restore?

Thanks.

Lis

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Try this, but look for system checkpoints, if it says the same, is there a particular reason for needing to restore?

Start the System Restore tool at a command prompt

1. Restart your computer, and keep tapping F8 during the initial start-up until you get options, select Safe Mode with a command prompt then press enter.

2. Log on to your computer with an administrator account or with an account that has administrator credentials.

3. Type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

4. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to an earlier state.

Look for the most recent system checkpoint created before the errors to restore from

For additional information about the Safe mode with a command prompt, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

http://support.micro....com/kb/315222/

A description of the Safe mode boot options in Windows XP

Leesie

Leesie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
Thanks I will try that.

I tried to update the speaker driver a couple days ago, didn't work and ended up somehow deleting the entire speaker drivers. It seemed to reinstall itself and now its awful slow to start up. So I thought bumping it back a week or so might clear things up.

Lis

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
This would be the next thing then

Click start then all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then also from system tools, run disc defragmenter

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, (all files will highlight), right click any file, click delete, confirm then reboot.

Download, install and run
Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run Tune Up disc clean up

Run Tune Up registry clean up

Click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, the screen will lose colour during the process which can take a few minutes and then needs a reboot

Those will have cleared the drive of obsolete software errors

These are suggestions for making the most of the free trial

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot.

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

Leesie

Leesie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
Hi again,

I think the safe mode system restore worked, but it didn't create a new restore point? Is that normal?

Just about to install tune up. Thanks!

Lis

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can create a restore point before and after running Tune Up

Leesie

Leesie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
Alright, I'll do that.

Thanks for all your help Keith! Much appreciated!!

Is there any way to keep the restore points from going funny again?

Lis

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
It could be worth restricting the amount of disc space allocated to system restore, from 12% to 6% so that windows will remove the older points to keep room for the newer ones

The importance of system restore is that you can create a point before installing a programme, then refer to it if the programme causes errors

Having lots of restore points isn't particularly useful, especially if you have to go back so far you remove good programme installations just to get rid of one not so good installation

Leesie

Leesie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
Good to know. I usually kept the restore points for about 2 months and upped the size before dl the sp2 pack last month so I'll size it back down again.

Thanks!

Lis