Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

unable to load programs

• Please log in to reply

acsojr

acsojr

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Everytime I download a program from the internet my computer pops up a red X stating i don't have permission or access to setup the program. It downloads fine but pops up when i click on the setup icon. The computer is my home one and no one else uses it. I don't know if some administrator settings have been added or what. I am running xp media edition. Does anyone know how to change this?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
can you try logging in as THE administrator (press f8 during boot and choose safe mode from the list of startup modes...you should now see a new user in the lsit to choose from named "administrator" choose that...if you don't know the password try leaving it blank) once in there go to start > control panel > users > is your user listed as a limited user? if so...change that to being an administrator...then log off..and log on as you..and try to install

acsojr

acsojr

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I checked my user setting and I am logged in as the administrator but still not able to proceed with the setup icon