Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Need Help Please. Upgrade from FAT 16 to NTFS5

• Please log in to reply

forever_autumn

forever_autumn

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi. Im new to the forum so sorry if Im in the wrong topic. But I need help and here's my problem...

I have a physical disk in my computer with two partitions- both of which are formatted with FAT 16. In one Im running Windows 95 and the other Windows NT 4.0. Since 95 is old, I upgraded it to Windows 2000 and used NTFS 5 files system. When I start it up using the Windows 2000 partition there is no problem. But when I boot into the Windows NT 4.0 partition, the new partition is not available. What should I do to correct the problem? I would appriciate the help, thanks.

<3 Autumn

Edited by forever_autumn, 30 March 2006 - 04:59 PM.

Advertisements

forever_autumn

forever_autumn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Any ideas at least?

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
You are kinda out of luck there.

There are two versions of NTFS that are relevant when talking about NT, Windows 2000, and XP. These are NTFS 4.0 and NTFS 5.0. NTFS 4.0 is the version that shipped with NT 4.0. For NT 4.0 to be able to access NTFS 5.0 you must apply Service Pack 4 or greater. Even with the later Service Packs applied there are some features of NTFS 5.0 that NT 4.0 cannot utilize, such as Disk Quotas. This is because NT 4.0 itself, does not support these features. However you will have the capability to access the files. Both Windows 2000 and XP can access NTFS 4.0 and 5.0, with 5.0 being the native version of NTFS for both.

SRX660

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
© Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

U:\>convert /?
Converts FAT volumes to NTFS.

CONVERT volume /FS:NTFS [/V] [/CvtArea:filename] [/NoSecurity] [/X]

volume Specifies the drive letter (followed by a colon),
mount point, or volume name.
/FS:NTFS Specifies that the volume is to be converted to NTFS.
/V Specifies that Convert should be run in verbose mode.
/CvtArea:filename
Specifies a contiguous file in the root directory to be
the place holder for NTFS system files.
/NoSecurity Specifies the converted files and directories security
settings to be accessible by everyone.
/X Forces the volume to dismount first if necessary.
All opened handles to the volume would then be invalid.

those are the command and switches for the convert command....

boot into your 2000 partition and open up a command prompt then type

convert <nt volume name> /fs:ntfs

this SHOULD convert the system with no data loss (you should probably do a backup of anything important just to make sure...you may need to use the /x switch if it gives you errors about the partition being in use..to my knowledge if NT isn't on an NTFS partition..then it can't see an NTFS partition..so this SHOULD fix it..

forever_autumn

forever_autumn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hey thanks a lot. I fixed it lol.