Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Bold text going funny with Firefox/MSN

• Please log in to reply

jems

jems

• PipPip
  • 58 posts
I hope I am posting in the right place.....................

I have two issues but I am unsure if they are related so am posting them together:

1. I have kind of a weird problem going on which I thought might be a virus or something. As fair as I can tell it is only happening with Trillian (messanger) and using Firefox (not IE).

From what I remember the problem started when I installed Trillian a week or so ago. Basically, when I started using Trillian I noticed that some of the text looked weird when I was having conversations with friends - it went all fuzzy and looked like it had collapsed on itself. I thought it was a bit strange and so I uninstalled Trillian to be on the safe side and thought nothing more of it. But then it started happening when I am online - particularly on live journal (I am not sure if this is happening elsewhere or not actually) the text goes all weird like it did in Trillian - but it only seems to be the text in bold. See image:

Posted Image

Does anyone have an idea what might be causing this?

2. In addition I have recently noticed that my computer is lagging - it seems to be slower than usual. I checked my task manager and seem to have a ati2evxx.exe running at start up - I have read this can cause lagging and is not really required for anything much and can be deleted. Could this be connected to the text issues I am having? Can I delete this file from system32 folder or should I just disable it from running at start up and if so could you kindly remind me how I do that as I haven't done it in ages. If i end the process in the task manager it does stop me from having issues with my computer lagging and running slowly.

Any ideas and help would be gratefully welcome.

(note: if you saw my security centre post this text thing was happening before windows stopped recoginising NOD32 so I don't think this is related)

Advertisements

nikorasu

nikorasu

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
I checked that process you mention and I don't think it would be related. I found this description of the process:

ati2evxx.exe is a process installed alongside ATI Display Adapters and provides additional configuration options for these devices. This program is non-essential process to the running of the system, but should not be terminated unless suspected to be causing problems.

Have you done a virus scan recently? If not, try giving that shot. Maybe they're completely unrelated problems. Recently, I had a virus affecting some things, and just a setting I changed that screwed other things over..

Anyways, if my computer ever starts doing weird things like that, I run through a few things until it works well again : Virus scan (avast is a good free scanner), Defrag, Spyware and such clean-up. Maybe update video card drivers? I don't think it's a vid card thing though..

just a few suggestions if you hadn't done those yet.

(you know, if I was an [bleep], I would've put this post in bold test.. lol.. sorry. I'll shut up now..)

jems

jems

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

(you know, if I was an [bleep], I would've put this post in bold test.. lol.. sorry. I'll shut up now..)

:blink: :help:

thanks for the suggestions and for agreeing these issues are not related. :whistling:

I have run virus (NOD32), Spyware - S+D, Adaware and Spyware Doctor and run CCLeaner but they found nothing which sorted this out - just some spyware rubbish which got deleted no worries.

I'll go and run the free avask virus scan you suggested since windows keeps saying I have virus protection issues and see if that turns anything up. And I'll check to see if I need to defrag - but I just wiped and re-installed windows like a month ago so I would have thought it would be fine.

Since this started when I installed Trillian do you think it might be something which was installed then which could be causing the text issues?

nikorasu

nikorasu

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
I dunno. I don't use Trillian, but my bro does and he never has problem with it.

If I was in your situation (the situation being that 'all esle failed'), I would do a System Restore... That option can work wonders. My friends usually come to me when they need comp help (I'm not an expert like most of the people here), and I've managed to save 2 computers that were flipping out, due to excess [bleep] viewing. XD

There may be a better way of fixing the problem without having to do the system restore, but if there's nothing from the last week or 2 that you have to lose, then, why not?