Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

pc dead slow etc,help

• Please log in to reply

chel-dufc

chel-dufc

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Hi, iv been sent here from malware forum as they think my problems are not caused by malware. I have had blue screen, pc turning offf, black screens and everything generally very slow. Start up takes ages.Fast user switching no longer works nor does the sound when my daughters are logged in. Works fine for me (admin). I have run various spyware, virus checks etc which come up with nothing. I get 'bad block' when trying to copy my stuff on dvd so have uninstalled Nero. Bits of things are sometimes left on screen as well, also it somtimes has 2 printer icons in toolbar when there is only 1. I took out webcam as well. Nothing i do seems to make any diffrence and im not very experienced with computers. I appreciate any help given, as i know you are very busy. Thanks.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD and Windows File Protection will show a blue onscreen progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot

Click start then run, type chkdsk /f /r then press enter, type Y to confirm for next boot, press enter then reboot.

Windows will appear to load normally then either the monitor will show progress or the screen will go blank, do not disturb this. This will take an hour or so before it gets to the desktop.

Download and install Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run Tune Up Disc Clean Up

Run Tune Up Registry Clean Up

Click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, which will take a few minutes and need a reboot. You should disable the antivirus programme to run this and check it is running after the reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

chel-dufc

chel-dufc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
O.k thanks for your quick response. I have a problem already tho, i do not have the xp disc, it was already installed when i got the computer. Maybe I can borrow disc from someone?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
As long as it is the same version as was originally installed, if you downloaded SP2 then you need an XP SP1 CD

Run sfc /scannow and if / when it asks for the CD, press skip, confirm, if it asks more than a few times, click cancel, this will determine if lots of files are missing. It could also run through without needing the disc, so no files needed

chel-dufc

chel-dufc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
o.k il try that and get back to yu. SP2 wasalready on it when i got it. thanks

chel-dufc

chel-dufc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
well, it says 'windows cannot find sfc/scannow make sure you typed the name correctly and try again.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Specifically sfc (space) /scannow

sfc /scannow

chel-dufc

chel-dufc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Sorry, i tried that and it saidWindows File Protection, files that are required for windows to run properly must be copied to the dll cache. Insert your windows xp service pack 2 cd now. did this and cancelled a few times, it would not do the check.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
The good news is, files are missing, so if you can borrow an XP CD, you can replace them

chel-dufc

chel-dufc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Thanks very much for your help, i will get a disc asap and get back to you. Hopefully tomorrow. :whistling:

chel-dufc

chel-dufc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Hi, im really sorry, i know it has been ages but i had problems getting an xp disc. I thought i would add to this poost instead of starting a new one as i have now replaced missing files and sound etc have came back. Pc is still quite slow though and fast user switching will still not work. Thank you for your help.