Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What to do after build

• Please log in to reply

sixstringartist

sixstringartist

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
I just resently built the system in my sig. It is 90% put together with Ram, CPU, and VGA all checking out. My problem is I am trying to get this system operational by tomorrow night and I wont have a moniter to use until tomorrow evening (long story & a bit if a headache). I havent run into any problems yet, but is there a tutorial on installing needed software after putting together a system? Im hoping to prevent problems tomorrow night.

I have XP but wont I need CDROM drivers to install it?
I have CDROM drivers but their on a CD...... :whistling: wouldnt that require basic CDROM drivers from windows?

I will need to install USB drivers (on a CD). I assume this is one of the last steps.

Advertisements

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts

I have CDROM drivers but their on a CD

Hey there sixstringartist, welcome to Geeks To Go Forums.

If I am correct almost all Cd Roms are plug and play. Drivers can still be loaded using the Cd Rom. If you do run into problems and you can't load anything from Cd Rom. Download the drivers from the internet and put them on a floppy.

Yip, USB drivers will be one of the last drivers. Dont forget Graphic drivers, sound drivers, ect.

Cool, hope this helped a bit more. :whistling:

Edited by spike_hacker_inc, 30 March 2006 - 11:40 PM.

sixstringartist

sixstringartist

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
ah right, well, the chipset, audio, USB, and Networking drivers are all on a CD supplied by the mobo manufacturer.

p-zero

p-zero

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
Most new atapi devices (cdrom,dvdrom,floppy,etc) are plug and play. I got a dvdram drive with my rig and there are NO drivers available for it. But, of course you will need some sort of software to playback music and watch movies.
-Pete.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
The manufacturers disk is the main thing you need to install first when you get it running, most drives dont need drivers unless they have non standard features like putting writing on the disks in the drive like lightscribe, keyboards and mice often need drivers but they will work without them. An AV and firewall is important as well as a good spyware scanner/destroyer, is use Avast, Spybot S&D and Adaware SE between then i dont get many problems.

Then you stick in you gfx drivers latest from the manufacturer or the Omegas if thats your thing.

After that your media stuff comes next for me its the klite mega codec pack and winamp pro as well as nero home.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Just in case your not sure how to install windoows XP theres this.

http://www.tweak3d.n...les/xp-install/

SRX660

sixstringartist

sixstringartist

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Installing the OS shouldnt be a problem. Ive worked on 98 a lot in the past. I just wanted to try to prevent any problems in installing the drivers.