Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

USB2.0 port malfunctioning

• Please log in to reply

mysticlife

mysticlife

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi

I am using ThinkPAD T41. I am pretty sure I have two USB2.0 ports. But recently, whenever I connect a external harddrive or flash drive with USB2.0 to my laptop, I always get this message:

"This USB device can perform faster if you connect it to a Hi-Speed USB2.0 port.".

Looks like my USB2.0 ports became 1.1 or 1.0, and the speed for copying or moving files does significantly slow down, just like I am having a USB1.0 port on my laptop.

Cannot figure out what the problem is. I did a Windows update lately, not sure if that was the reason (There are just too many bugs in Windows). I also found a virus (Win32.Troj.Daemonize.aw.14336) on my computer last week and I think I have got rid of it.

I hate the slow USB speed. Can somebody help me? Thanks a lot.

Advertisements

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
Hi, and welcome to GTG.

I had this problem before, and was able to overcome it.

Click Start > Right click My Computer > click Properties > click Hardware tab > click Device Manager > Click the + on Universal Serial Bus controllers (if it isn't already extended) > Look for Standard Enchanced PCI to USB Host Controller.

Does this have a red cross on the little USB logo left of the device name?

Edited by SuperSam, 31 March 2006 - 11:48 AM.

mysticlife

mysticlife

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for the message.

I have removed and then reinstalled the device. I also rebooted the system several times. The device status actually says it is working properly. And there is no red cross on any of the USB devices listed under USB controllers.

It is just weird. I saw someone on a google group reported the same problem recently, and seems not solved yet.

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
Have you tried looking for hardware updates on http://update.microsoft.com

mysticlife

mysticlife

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I did all possible updates but still have the same problem. :whistling: