Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Password Box appears when computer idles

• Please log in to reply

silverhawk

silverhawk

• Pip
  • 1 posts
This is weird. I have 3 users accounts on this HP pavillion which runs xp pro. Every now and then, but quite regularly, when the machine goes idle and the screensaver comes up, or the monitor clicks off, I go back to the user account screen and ... its asks for passwords. I have it set for NO PASSWORDS, and even when I put a password on the accounts this demand will come up and the passwords don't work. In the user account screen it shows just my three user accounts, but in a j16 power tools scan it shows two mysterious ACCOUNTS. wHAT'S GOING ON? aRE THESE ACCOUNTS RESPONSIBLE? hOW THE [bleep] DO i GET RID OF THEM?

Advertisements

Vaillant

Vaillant

• PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
Can you give us more details on the new accounts?
Name, permissions, etc?

p-zero

p-zero

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
First off, when that password box appears just hit enter. Dont type anything. To turn that off, simply right click on the desktop go to properties->screensaver->advanced. And disable password protect.
-Pete

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

This is weird. I have 3 users accounts on this HP pavillion which runs xp pro. Every now and then, but quite regularly, when the machine goes idle and the screensaver comes up, or the monitor clicks off, I go back to the user account screen and ... its asks for passwords. I have it set for NO PASSWORDS, and even when I put a password on the accounts this demand will come up and the passwords don't work. In the user account screen it shows just my three user accounts, but in a j16 power tools scan it shows two mysterious ACCOUNTS. wHAT'S GOING ON? aRE THESE ACCOUNTS RESPONSIBLE? hOW THE [bleep] DO i GET RID OF THEM?

Since you're using XP, you may have the "On resume, display Welcome screen box" checked. To see and edit any users, you must have admin right, but go to Control Panel and click the User Accounts Icon. Pick whichever one you want: Change an account or Change the way users log on or off. Delete any accounts you think are not needed or wanted. You can change pictures, passwords all kinds of stuff from User Accounts utility.

You might also check the Monitor Power settings and check/uncheck boxes as needed. Just click the Power button under the Screen Saver Tab.

Let us know if this helped. Thanks for using GTG.

Ron