Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

problem with usb network adapter and antennae cable

• Please log in to reply

beantownmp

beantownmp

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
ok guys heres the deal. i'm stationed in iraq. there is an isp that offers wireless internet throughout the whole camp. they have probably 10 or so wireless access points. when i use my internal wireless networkign card it works decent, but we live in these aluminum trailers that kill the signal inside. so the isp started selling these external usb wirelss adapters that have an antennae on them and about 10 feet of rg58 antennae cable. the wireless device is called AirLive WL-5480USB WLAN USB Adapter.

so this is what happened. i ran the cable out of hte trailor up to the roof an onto a wooden steak where i mounted the antennae. i correctly went through the setup of the AirLive WL-5480USB WLAN USB Adapter and then connected it to my computer as stated. it picked up about 8 or 9 different access points. when i would connect to one the signal would be great and then drop off to nothing and repeated this fluctuation to the point where i have stopped using it. the isp said that it might be because the antennae is so far away from teh wlan usb adapter but why sell the cable then? any help would be great as id love to be able to sit inside the trailer and have internet. like i said when i disconnect the AirLive WL-5480USB WLAN USB Adapter and use just my interal wireless card it works w/o the fluctuation, jsut bad signal. thanks guys!

tim

Advertisements

beantownmp

beantownmp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
also if this product i just bought is the problem can someone direct me to some hardware that will suit my need? thanks!

beantownmp

beantownmp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
any help guys?

beantownmp

beantownmp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
buehler? anybody?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
what if you move the antenna lower..like just outside the door or the wall or something...how long is the usb cable that you're using to connect to the device?

http://www.ovislink....-5480usb-80.asp is this the device of which you speak?

beantownmp

beantownmp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

what if you move the antenna lower..like just outside the door or the wall or something...how long is the usb cable that you're using to connect to the device?

http://www.ovislink....-5480usb-80.asp is this the device of which you speak?

first off thanks for the reply.. yes that is the product but it has the 5dbi antennae not that 8dbi one.. the usb cable is maybe 2ft long.. the antennae cable is probably about 15 fett. reason i put it up on the roof is because we have about 15-20ft tall concrete walls around us so i tried to get it as high as possible to receive the best signal

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
ok...so the device itself...is sitting next to your computer....you took off the whip style 5db antenna that's on the contraption...and are using some other form of wire type antenna that's running outside the room up to a spike on the roof....correct?

is this wiretype antenna something approved by the company? or something you just know will work?

beantownmp

beantownmp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

ok...so the device itself...is sitting next to your computer....you took off the whip style 5db antenna that's on the contraption...and are using some other form of wire type antenna that's running outside the room up to a spike on the roof....correct?

is this wiretype antenna something approved by the company? or something you just know will work?

its right next to my computer yes, i unscrewed the whip 5db antennae, ran cable out the trailer and up onto the roof where i hooked back up the whip style antennae.. put a plastic baggie around it to whether proof it.. thats what i got going on right now

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i'm getting a little past my realm here on the cabeling...but the arlive website is suggesting rg316 for the indoor AP (access point) antenna...and rg213 for outdoor applications...(which would require a short connector cable to attatch to the indoor type devices...)