Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Newb needs help with building a computer

• Please log in to reply

EmericaKid

EmericaKid

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello, I'm not new to computers but I have little to no experience with actually building them. I recently accquired a nice flatscreen moniter with keyboard & mouse from a friend. It didn't come with a tower so I need help on deciding what to buy. I have a new seagate 120gb hard drive that I can use on this machine. I don't plan on doing a big amount of gaming but a little here and there. Mostly I'll just be using it for surfing the web and other misc tasks. Any ideas on what I should look at getting? I'm thinking a price range around $200 - $300 is this reasonable? Thanks again.

Jake

Advertisements

p-zero

p-zero

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
the amount youre willing to spend is not nearly enough to build a computer. A cheap motherboard will be about 60-100 bux, ram you can get for about 50, cheap processor about 100 or more(depending on the brand socket type etc.), cheap video card about 70-100, then you still need a case and a power supply lookin at anywhere from 50-250, and if it needs a sound card youre lookin at anywhere from 20 to 140.
-Pete.