Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

How do I find out what version of Windows XP I am running

• Please log in to reply

Matt T

Matt T

• PipPipPip
  • 674 posts
I am on the Smart Link website trying to download the latest driver for my modem and it is asking me what version of Windows XP I have 32bit or 64bit. I'm unsure. How do I check?

~Matt :-)

Advertisements

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Not sure that this helps but it advances you I think, two run commands

press; windows botton with r botton
type: winver
press; windows botton with r botton
msinfo32.exe

Good luck. feedback, good or bad, is liked.

Matt T

Matt T

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 674 posts
Thankyou.

I believe I am running Windows XP Home 32-bit Edition.

Thankyou for your help.

~matt :-)

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Hi, your question helped me to see something I wasn't before so I did a little googling for you and came up with this.

"unless you spent over $800 for the processor alone and it was within the last 6 months you are running a 32 bit system... 64 bit systems are rare and expensive at this point in time, additionally they have limitations. but if you want to be sure check your version of windows in the system properties and it if doesnt say windows xp 64 bit edition then you are running 32 bit.. to sum it up, you are almost definately running a 32 bit system"

So, my original advise was the right direction but lacked this conclusion, sorry for that.

Matt T

Matt T

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 674 posts
Thanks for your additional research! - your help is much appreciated.

~Matt :-)