Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Keep Loosing internet connection

• Please log in to reply

skywriter

skywriter

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
I am running windows XP with SP2, and I keep loosing my internet connection. This began happening a couple of weeks ago. I have other computers running off of my home internet connection (I have cable broadband) and those computers have no problems. I will sometimes loose the connection in the middle of an internet session, or sometimes when I boot up the computer. I have to run WinSockXPFIX to get the connection back. I have run EWIDO and SPYBOT, and the system is clean from viruses. Would appreciate any help or suggestions. Thanks.

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Hello and welcome to Geeks to Go.

Please download and run hijackthis Do a scan and then save a log. Take the log and ATTACH IT (do not post) to your next post.

We do not like to post hijackthis logs in sections other than the malware forum as we do not want to encourage people to post malware issues in this forum.

I am not looking for malware. I am looking for what programs or combinations of programs might cause this behavior. If I notice any malware, I will redirect you to the malware forum.

If you post a hijackthis log in this forum, several trusted techs will come to your house and eat all of your Ritz crackers, Cheeze Doodals and any sweet pickles you have in your fridge. We will also put our feet up on all of your coffee tables. This is no joke. We'll do it. It's not pretty. :whistling:

skywriter

skywriter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
:whistling: Thanks for the quick response. I'm attaching my "hijack this" log.Attached File  hijackthis.doc   32KB   26 downloads

Edited by skywriter, 02 April 2006 - 12:23 PM.

skywriter

skywriter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hey guys: I know you got a jillion things to work on, but I was wondering if you had a chance to look at my "hijack this" attachment? Thanks. :whistling:

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Sorry for the delay, but keep in mind: we are all volunteers (this is not our job) and all have a life to attend to first. :whistling:

I just looked at it, and it looks like you may have a small infection. In addition, you have Norton. Norton hasn't been doing too well lately. If you have the version of Norton that provides a firewall, I would suspect that could be causing your problem. But let's address your infection problem first. Since I'm not a malware expert, I don't know how bad it really is, and I cannot help you remove it. Here is what you can do though:

Please follow all the directions found here. After you get to step 5, if your problem is not resolved, post a HijackThis log in the Malware forum. If your problem persists after getting a clean bill of health from a malware expert, return here and we'll continue troubleshooting.

Keep in mind, the malware forum is very busy and can take up to 5 days to receive a reply. There is a special forum called The Waiting Room if you've been waiting for 3 or more days. You can put a link to your topic & a short description of your problem and someone will get with you soon.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 02 April 2006 - 03:06 PM.

skywriter

skywriter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Thanks for looking into this. You guys do awesome work and I have used you before, so I am really appreciatve of your work. I'll follow the recommended steps and see if the problem persists. If Norton has problems, can I replace it with AVG? Thanks again

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Personally, I recommend Avast over AVG.

Let me know how it goes.