Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Problem playing Video files with Windows XP

• Please log in to reply

madhattergre

madhattergre

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Whener I play my video files in audio goes on without a hitch, but the screen, the images stick, they become choppy half way through the file. This has happened for a long while, but I wanna know if theres anything that can be done to better wtahc these videos. Usually I go to run, then mplayer2 and play with that classic player insetad of windows media player and it doesnt stick, but for the regular player, and for google video player it sticks half way through, and becoem very choppy (unwatchable).
Thanks,
Glen

Advertisements

madhattergre

madhattergre

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Does anyone wanna help me?? :whistling:

madhattergre

madhattergre

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
hmmm

WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
If your are playing off of a DVD disc there is a well-documented problem in Windows where trying to play a heavily damaged, but still readable disc will cause Windows to "downgrade" the reading process from a hardware (DMA) access process to a software (PIO) reading process to aid in error correction. This causes all further DVD playback to be in with a slower software manner. In short, switching to this mode by Windows may prevent your computer from reading the video data fast enough to play DVD discs smoothly.

So, playing videos from hard disk files should always be smooth. However, only if playing videos from DVD or CD is choppy should you check the following data transfer mode in the IDE channels' properties:
Start > Control Panel > System > Hardware tab > Device Manager

Click the plus sign to the left of the entry "IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers". It should expand the list to show Primary and Secondary IDE channels. Your DVD/CD drive should be on the secondary channel. Right-click on the secondary channel entry and then click Properties. Click the Advanced Settings tab. For both Device 0 and Device 1 the Transfer Mode should be set to "DMA if possible". If not set that way then change them. Click OK and close the Device Manager and System Properties windows.

Keep in mind that subsequent playing of heavily scratched DVDs may cause this setting to revert back to PIO mode and produce choppy playback. Don't ya just love MS ?

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
VLC is a player that I find to be more robust and able to deal with the many codexes out there, free and the link is:

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

madhattergre

madhattergre

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Well, it happens both on dvd's that are not scratched in th eleast, and more annoyingly with most video files UNLESS I play it from windows classic player. So....anybody know whats up with that??

daniel_c

daniel_c

• PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
you might be lacking codecs for your video player the best codec pack iv'e come across is k-lite codec pack. its free try it