Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Recovering File is Hoarding Computer Resources

• Please log in to reply

diamond girl

diamond girl

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
I run Windows XP on my home computer.

A couple of days ago I attempted to open a highly formatted file originally created in MS Word 2003 in a version of Microsoft Works Word Processor. The file came to me via an email from my office in Outlook. While opening it I realized the formatting was just too complex for Works to deal with and killed the task by doing an "End Task" in "Task Manager". Now the problem is that the operating system continues to try to "recover" the file for me and when I attempt to open the Microsoft Works Word Processor in order to do something it automatically tries to open this "Recovered" file.

The machine just keeps chugging and chugging and chugging along here and when I do get a status bar for Microsoft Works Word Processor it shows me the document has almost 33,000 pages!!!! Honestly the original document was only two pages in Word but had alot of formatting in it.

So how do I just tell the computer I don't want to recover this file? I went through every spot I could think of on the computer (Application Data etc.) even "unhiding" hidden system files to try to find it and kill it. But I can't figure it out.

Can anyone tell me how to stop this short of letting the file recovery process take its sweet time and run forever? The process is eating away at 50 - 70 % of my CPU Processing time when it runs....

I'm running on a Dell Dimension 3000 with Windows XP.

Advertisements