Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cannot create c:\cabs\9432834 ... help!?

• Please log in to reply

Jemc2

Jemc2

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I'm working with a Gateway M675 laptop (not this computer) that the drivers are all screwed up... so I ordered a drivers disk off ebay to fix it. The problem with it now is that the hard drive is not "C" it is "F" (I have no idea why), so when the self-extracting drivers are clicked on, an error pops up that says windows cannot create c:\cabs\##### etc...

In a similar situation all I did was open up the individual files in winzip and manually unzip them to a chosen folder. I tried that here, but in the cd's folder I looked for any files and supposedly there are no zipped files... so I'm SOL.

Anybody have any suggestions? Thanks so much...

Advertisements

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
Hi Jemc2 and welcome to Geeks To Go Forums.

You asay your drive is no longer registred as "C:\" and now its "F:\". Ok start off by going to:
> Start
> Control Panel
> Administrative Tools
> Component Managment

When the program has opened the menu on the left go down to "Storage" you may have to extend the tree, then click on "Disk Managment"

On the right there will be al ist of drives, right click on the drive letter "F:\" and say "Change drive letters and paths...." When the window opens click on "change". From there it is self explanitory. I hope this works for you, if you run into any problems let me know.

Also let me know if this worked. Thanks :whistling:

Jemc2

Jemc2

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the help!

Unfortunately when I got to the point where I could click "Change...", the confirm window popped up and said, "Windows cannot modify the drive of your system volume or boot volume." Did I do something wrong? Is there any way to get around this?

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
Oh yes, sorry. I cant belive I forgot that you cannot change the system drive.

Ok, about a month or two ago my one friend had the same problem so i sent him to this site:

http://www.petri.co...._windows_xp.htm

This shows how to change the system drive letter. My friend never got back to me and told me if it works or not. So I cannot guarantee that this will work. But its worth a try.

Please, when you have done this let me know if it did work. Thanks :whistling: