Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

disable reboot function (ctrl alt delete)

• Please log in to reply

reesee

reesee

• Pip
  • 1 posts
hi there

i am trying to work out if it possible to disable the ctrl alt delete reboot function. i run a small backpackers and we are setting up a couple of pc's as internet computers. we've found some free software that will run the pc's and all that kind of stuff however it has a small problem in that if someone hits the ctrl alt delete keys to reboot, it circumvents the net cafe software, giving them free access to the pc's. as we are a backpackers, i would like to leave the pc's available 24/7 for use, as the software (cybera) lets us issue
time limited credit chits so they can use the pc's whenever they want and i don't have to be standing there to time them and take payments...

so, how can i stop the ctrl alt delete function? i've looked through the forums and can't see an answer.

the server pc is using windows XP home edition, and the client computer is using windows 2000 professional.

the ecafe software is cybera. if anyone can suggest alternate software (that needs to be free as at the moment everything i have and much more is invested in this place and i can barely afford to buy groceries right now, much less buy new stuff!)

if there is any more information that i should include, please let me know and i'll provide it. i'm fairly quick to pick stuff up but this is NOT my area of expertise and i'm only just starting to get the pc's etc etc set up - but we can't give public access until this little 'glitch' is fixed. if there is any way for the backpackers to get free access, they will discover it and the whole hostel will know within seconds! i'm speaking from experience with people rorting the washing machines, pool tables etc :whistling: ..and plus i used to be a backpacker so i know how it goes.

many many thanks - i'm sure this will just be the start of many posts on these topics
cheers
maree

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Hi:

First off, I wouldn't recommend this, but you can check out :

Disable Ctrl-Alt-Delete, Alt-Tab, Ctrl-Esc

Windows 2000 Security - CTRL ALT DEL function disabled locally

Windows XP Customize - Disable CTRL-ALT-DEL

Personally, I would wait for one of the more knowledgeable Staff Gurus before continuing with this idea.

Ron

TakeBK

TakeBK

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
You could think about getting Programable keyboards.They have software to disable keys that you hit by accident.Therfore just disable "Delete" so the combination would not work.

Or change funtion of the keys so say if delete is pressed it is acually "Pause/Break" key and program the "Pause/Break" key is acually the delete. So the combination would have to be Ctrl-Alt-Pause/Break but would still function if you needed to do a CAD yourself because you would know.