Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

some internet problems...

• Please log in to reply

mrdrphil007

mrdrphil007

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
Okay, when I use firefox and try to go to a website like myspace.com the page loads really slow, and some pictures of my friends and even my own wont even load up. All i get is the torn picture looking symbol. I know for a fact that the pictures arent "torn", because I just went and got on my mom's 3 year old computer and looked at them all with no problems and they loaded immediately.

So just now, I turned off my nVidia firewall, and all the pictues loaded fine. Is this normal? can I leave this it this? All I have I on right now is the windows firewall.

Edit- oh yeah, internet explorer locks up after a few minutes, even with the nvidia firewall turned off. any solutions?

Edited by mrdrphil007, 01 April 2006 - 01:35 AM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Have a look through these to see if they provide an answer

http://nvidia.custhe...li=&p_topview=1

mrdrphil007

mrdrphil007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
Thanks for your reply. The link described what a firewall is and how it works, but it really didnt solve my problems. And, it says if the nvidia firewall is up, it makes your cpu usage go down. whether this is true or not, im not sure.

can anybody help with the internet explorer locking up issue? Its been bothering me for a while.

WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
Try emptying the IE temporary files: Tools > Internet Options > Delete Files
Now, set the max disk space used for temp files to 50MB: Tools > Internet Options > Settings; set the setting "Amount of disk space to use" to 50MB. This may prevent slow running in the future.

By default, IE sets the disk space used for temp files to about 10%-20% of the disk (partition) capacity. Nowadays disk drives are so large that this value is truly huge. If the disk (partitition) is 80GB then temp space will be set to 16 GB !!! Just think of how many files IE has to search thru when the temp folder gets full.

mrdrphil007

mrdrphil007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
thanks for your reply wincrazy, and yes, windows is really crazy.

Okay, I set the temporary files thing to 50MB, the original was something like 4.8GB.

But, IE is still locking up. Any more ideas?

here's a screenshot and the task manager, that second IE window locked up a few seconds after I took this shot.

Attached Thumbnails

• effedup.JPG

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Try repairing Internet Explorer.

Click "Start", then "Search", select "All Files and Folders". Select "More Advanced Options" and place a checkmark beside the "Search Hidden Files and Folders" option. Ensure that "Search System Folders" and "Search Subfolders" are also checked.

In the "All or Part of the File Name" box, type ie.inf and in the "Look In" drop-down menu, select C: or the letter of the hard drive that contains the Windows folder. Click the Search button.

In the search results pane, find the ie.inf file located in Windows\Inf folder. Right click the ie.inf file and click "Install" on the context menu. Reboot the computer when the file copy process is complete.

wannabe1

mrdrphil007

mrdrphil007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
thanks wannabe1,

this is the message I get when I tried to reinstall. Im guessing it wants me to put my windows cd in with the file in it.

Attached Thumbnails

• effedup2.JPG

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Yes...if you have the cd, put it in and click "Ok".

mrdrphil007

mrdrphil007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
Thanks for your help, but reinstalling it didn't help. Except this time, isntead of the window locking up and just staying there, it locks up and closes itself out. I guess this is kind of convenient...

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Convenient, maybe...but it ain't right! :whistling:

Get this Microsoft download of IE6 SP1...save it to disk to install it after uninstall later.

Then download the attached file and extract the file within to your desktop. Right click the extracted file and select "Merge".

Then double-click on the downloaded IE6 file and see if it will install over the current version.

wannabe1

Attached Files

Edited by wannabe1, 02 April 2006 - 08:13 PM.

mrdrphil007

mrdrphil007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
Okay, I did what you said and it asked me to reboot my computer, and I did, and it hung for like 30 seconds at the "welcome" screen which kind of freaked me out, thats what messing with system registry does to me...

I clicked on the IE6 install file, and it said that there is a newer version already installed, setup cannot continue.

BAH!!! it just closed itself again.

Edited by mrdrphil007, 02 April 2006 - 08:43 PM.

mrdrphil007

mrdrphil007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
Okay, IE just crashed again, and I have no idea why, but I sent the error report to microsoft. Usually this is just futile, but this time I think they may have offered a solution. They said if you are running the yahoo toolbar, which I am, to download the new one, and it may fix your problems. So I thought what the [bleep], and I tried it. It's pretty nice, it basically copies the firefox tabbed browser style. But, IE has yet to crash.

http://oca.microsoft...117f31&SID=1485

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Cool! A new fix...AND an explanation for the problem should we run across it again... :whistling:

Keep us posted on whether this turns out to be the solution or not. I, for one, had not seen this issue with the Yahoo Toolbar.

wannabe1