Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Added 2nd HD and won't show up in My Computer

• Please log in to reply

Tazz1037

Tazz1037

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
I added a 2nd harddrive and I can't get it to show up in the My Computer. I can't find it anywhere. I saw it detect the new hardware and I even tried to run the add hardware feature in the control panel. I have a Dell Dimension 8200.

I opened the computer, put in the harddrive and connected it with the second plug on the ribbon cable. It is also plugged into the power cable. The jumpers are set to "Cable select"

Any help or ideas or guides on what to do?

Edited by Tazz1037, 01 April 2006 - 10:49 AM.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi Tazz1037!

The reason you can't find the hard drive listed in MY COMPUTER is that it hasn't been partitioned and formatted yet. Go into the CONTROL PANEL (START-->CONTROL PANEL) and double-click on ADMINISTRATIVE TOOLS and then double-click on COMPUTER MANAGEMENT. In the new window that appears, you will see two panes, on the left side you will see a heading called STORAGE with a sub-heading called DISK MANAGEMENT. Click it once to highlight it and then the right pane should change and show the hard drives and cd-roms installed on your computer. At the bottom of this right pane, you will see DISK 0 and DISK 1. You will notice that DISK 1 will have a yellow exclamation mark by it's name. Right-click it and choose INITIALIZE disk. After that is complete, right-click it again and choose CREATE PARTITION. Follow the on-screen wizard to partition and format the hard drive.

Fenor

Tazz1037

Tazz1037

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Thanks for the help, you guys are great. BTW....no more donations to the site?