Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Removing Old Operating System

• Please log in to reply

rajones2020

rajones2020

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have installed windows xp pro, but was running windows 2000 pro. When I boot up, computer now asks me which system I want to use. How can I get windows 2000 pro off my computer?

Advertisements

Immortalarena

Immortalarena

• PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
If you select the Windows 2000 during startup will it load 2000?

If not you need to edit boot.ini

Open the Hard Drive, C:
Tools> Folder Options> View>
Show hidden files and folders
uncheck hide protected system files

Open boot.ini with notepad

You will see:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Windows 2000"

simply remove the 2000 line.

Is there another tech that can verify that this works?

I know if something is wrong in the code the OS will not load at all, so I hope another tech can double check that I am right here

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
I think that is a great idea but it would still leave windows 2000 sitting on the system, I would suggest if no other member has a better idea to reinstall XP, but this time please delete the patition and reformat 100%, oh and make sure you have all the drivers before doing so.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
when you boot to xp...and open up my computer then open up c:\..how many windows folders are there?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
also...a better method to get to the boot.ini is to do start > run > msconfig > then the boot.ini tab...then remove the windows 2000 line...as in xp the boot.ini text file...is actually pretty darned hard to get to

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,802 posts
Both ideas sound good to me.

rajones2020, if you need any instructions, or would like a different idea, let us know.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Hi computerwiz 12090, my telepathy tells me that he would love to kown another way and instuctions, me too plz.