Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

An issue with startup

• Please log in to reply

tsenga

tsenga

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Ok, here we go, (i tried searching didnt find what i was looking for, before i get flamed)

When i start the other computer (xp media edition) Instead of the blue screen of death or, just a black screen, the windows xp logo comes up and you see the little bar going across etc

then when its about to change screens the bar gets to the end stays there and nothing happens, ( I CAN boot in safe mode) tried scanning stuff checking to see if any hardware was mis-behaving, and nadda.

Any suggestions?

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Hello and welcome to Geeks to Go.

Boot into "Safe Mode with Networking" and do the following:

Download and run hijackthis Do a scan and then save a log. Take the log and ATTACH IT (do not post) to your next post.

We do not like to post hijackthis logs in sections other than the malware forum as we do not want to encourage people to post malware issues in this forum.

I am not looking for malware. I am looking for what programs or combinations of programs might cause this behavior. If I notice any malware, I will redirect you to the malware forum.

If you post a hijackthis log in this forum, several trusted techs will come to your house and eat all of your Ritz crackers, Cheeze Doodals and any sweet pickles you have in your fridge. We will also put our feet up on all of your coffee tables. This is no joke. We'll do it. It's not pretty. :blink:

-edit: You will need to boot into Safe Mode with Networking in order to go online. I forgot to say that. Sorry :whistling:

Edited by computerwiz12890, 01 April 2006 - 02:32 PM.

tsenga

tsenga

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
ok i attached it to this forum, i didnt post it :/

umm sorry for the late response we had a power outae.

Heres the file.

Attached Files

tsenga

tsenga

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Are there any specifcs you look for off hand whn dealing with this type of issue or is it pretty much depends on the log, ?

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
It could be a number of things, so we'll gather information and troubleshoot the most likely cause to the least. If you remember anything that you did (installed a program? changed a setting?) or anything that happened just before this problem occured, that could be very useful.

The log is very empty, which is not necessarily good or bad. It looks like you have one entry which is a leftover from an infection, but other than that, I don't see anything that I could do with the log...

Let's see if there is an error that is occuring. Try to start your computer normally. Remember what time it is when you try to start it normally. Then boot into Safe Mode.

Click on Start, Run, type eventvwr in the text box and then press Enter. Click on Application and see if there are any exlamation marks or red X's at the time when you tried to start it normally. If there is an exlamation mark or X next to an item, double-click on that entry and copy the description of the error. Do the same thing for the System section. Post the description along with the source so I know what the description belongs to.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 02 April 2006 - 03:19 PM.

tsenga

tsenga

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Here goes,
nothing in applications: (no errors or warning)

sytems though :

warning : cdrom
An error was detected on device \Device\CdRom2 during a paging operation.

error : DCOM
DCOM got error "This service cannot be started in Safe Mode " attempting to start the service EventSystem with arguments "" in order to run the server:
{1BE1F766-5536-11D1-B726-00C04FB926AF}

error : service control manager

The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
Fips
intelppm
NPPTNT2

this problem occured after i had a "1 hour roughly" game time on WOW, then turned off the computer, and turned it back on about an hour later...

Edited by tsenga, 02 April 2006 - 04:58 PM.

tsenga

tsenga

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Guess what, today it works.... i didnt change anythign since..saturday...

tsenga

tsenga

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Nvm locked up again

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
I don't see anything that jumps at me in the error reports you posted. But I will have to research service control manager to see what that is about. I don't have the time today to do it. While you are waiting for me, you can do this to see if you can find and solve the issue yourself:

Step 1

Start > Run, type
msconfig
<enter>

On the general tab, select SELECTIVE START UP then uncheck
load system.ini
load win.ini
load startup services
load startup items

Reboot.
Does the error repeat? If not, continue with the next part. If so, go to STEP 2.

If not, Start > Run, type
msconfig
<enter>

check load startup items
Reboot.
Does the error repeat? If not, continue with the next part. If so, go to STEP 2.

msconfig
<enter>

check load startup services
Reboot.

msconfig
<enter>

check load win.ini
Reboot.

msconfig
<enter>

check load system.ini
Reboot.

Report back

-------------------------------------

STEP 2

When you find the error, repeating, you have arrived at the group that is causing the problem.

Leave everything as is and go to the tab with the same name as the one you just re-enabled and uncheck everything you find within the tab....reboot.

Does the probelm recur? If not, check one item and reboot, continuing until you discover the offending application/service

Then report back

tsenga

tsenga

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
The errtor occurs when everything is unchecked, i have found a way to boot in normal mode its awkward but! all the text is uso small its not viewable

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Try: start > run > sfc /scannow > enter. You will need an xp cd for this process, either the original or a similar edition. This procedure is aimed to repair system files and drivers. If this doesn't help and you have the original disk installed on your computer, with the original product key, you can run a repair installation. Look for a link in my signature.

tsenga

tsenga

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
k, i type it in a dos windo opens then shuts off immediately :/

couldnt log on comp for awhile, so late reply on behalf apologies.

Edited by tsenga, 08 April 2006 - 11:46 PM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I am sorry. You should have followed this path: start > run > cmd > sfc /scannow

tsenga

tsenga

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Well, i dont know anymore, the computer has officially died, ~ Xp decided to restart and reformat (and fail)~ and now i'm stuck wit installing xp again =(

ty anyways though ~ perhaps it'll be spic brand new, or just hanging on the thread :/

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
What do you mean by "XP decided to restart and reformat (and fail)?. Did you try reformating and the process failed? What action did you take at that time? What do you mean by "the computer has officaially died"? ). Try to be more specific if you want to diagnose and repair the problem.