Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PROBLEM WITH MS WORKS

• Please log in to reply

wendy k. walker

wendy k. walker

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Hello Everyone, This is sort of an odd ball topic, and I really don't know where to post it, but here it is:

I have been running into an awfully strange problem while using MS Works. I am running Windows XP with SP 2 and all updates installed, and am using Microsoft Works V 6.0.

I am having a problem with Works gobbling up things that I've already written. It doesn't happen every time that I use the program though.

I will be writing, and notice that I might have misspelled a word, or left something out of a sentence, and when I go back to make the necessary correction Works will start gobbling up anything to the right of the point where I started the correction, and will gobble up one letter for each letter I enter, and will continue doing this all the way through the entire document, all the way to the end.

However, If I save my work when this starts, and then reopen it the problem seems to correct it's self, for a while at least.

OK, so like that isn't bad enough by it's self; last night I experienced the exact same problem in Yahoo mail while writing a letter.

Have any of you had anything like this happen to you? Do any of you have any idea what causes it to happen, or what to do to put an end to it doing that?

Does anyone have any idea why/how that problem has started manifesting its self in Yahoo mail too?

Thanks for any advice from anyone who can help out with this.

♥ Wendy

Advertisements

WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
Could it be that the Del key in the lower right-hand of your keyboard is getting stuck in the down position ? That would explain this mysterious event.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Usually if the Insert function is turned on for editing, it will cause this. It's normal when using this way of editing. I don't have a copy of Works on my PC, but there may be a box to uncheck in options/preferences or whatever it is called.

Sorry I can't be too specific without the app installed and my memory is no help at this time.

Ron

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
Keyboards are pretty cheap. I've got a couple of spares that I paid $4.95 each for. Perhaps you could borrow a key board from a friend and try it out on your pc and see if the problem goes away. That would be my starting point. JUst make sure you shut the pc all the way down while you disconect/connect the keyboard.....

TakeBK

TakeBK

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
Wow I thought I had the anwser down untill you got to the point where you said it happens in Yahoo also.Unless the use the features of Works setting?

I havent used it in a very long time but I believe it is in Tools / Paragraphs where you will find you have to uncheck the box to "overwrite typing"

I used to go crazy with that.I used to find myself hitting the space bar to put enough spaces in for the change between the last word I wanted to keep the using the arrow to back up the type what I wanted then just deleted the word I didn't want.Untill a coworker pointed out the "check box"

I dont have works on this machine at home so I can't go look for the exact path but it is under tools if I remember correct.It's one of those if I saw it I would know type of things.

If you dont have an answer by tomorrow I will post when I am on that machine for sure.

Regards,
TakeBK

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Yes, that sound exactly like the insert botton, and if all else is too complicated for you here, just press the insert botton while this is happening and it will return to normal, press the insert botton once more after that and it will start chewing again, it is a function to help you overwrite stuff though why it is called insert instead of overwrite is probably becasue it was programed by a man, sorry about that then.

wendy k. walker

wendy k. walker

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Hi Everybody, and thanks to all of your for your insight. I've looked high, and low for that "over wright" box to uncheck it, however, I just can't find it anywhere on my tool bar.

Not to worry though as I believe I have finally realized the error of my ways here.

I believe that I have just been inadvertently hitting that little "insert" key bugger right next to my back space button.

At least now I have an idea of what's been going wrong and how to stop it in the future.

Still if someone could give me the exact path to follow I would like to find that "Over write" box and see if it is checked.

Thanks again to everyone for all of the replies.

♥ Wendy

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Wendy...

From Works, click "Tools" on the toolbar and select "Options". Under the "Edit" tab, clear the "Overtype" checkbox and select the "Typing replaces selection" checkbox. Click "Ok".

Does this help?

wannabe1

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
wendy, did you find the insert botton on your keyboard, normally just next to or under the delete botton.

TakeBK

TakeBK

• PipPip
  • 76 posts

Still if someone could give me the exact path to follow I would like to find that "Over write" box and see if it is checked.

Thanks again to everyone for all of the replies.

♥ Wendy

Yourself and fleamailman were right it is the INSERT button on your keyboard.I checked at work today and that did it.There is no "overwrite" like I and someone else said ,I was Confusing it with "MS WORD" MAybe an older or newer version of "WORKS" has it, but not 6.0

Cheeers