Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Vista Beta 2 busted my Raid array! Help!

• Please log in to reply

AdamD

AdamD

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Ok so my setup is as follows

Primary drive - PATA - Western digital 80GB SE

Secondary drive - SATA - 2 X Western digital 74GB Raptor's in a RAID 0 config (total drive space 148gb)

I decided to install Vista on the 2nd setup, seeing as how it'd be faster and all and how I could use XP and Vista on the same machine

First problem, it installed, but during the reboot, it said it needed to check the 2nd drive's integrity and went through the chdsk thing

That threw up TONS of Index errors, which it said it was fixing, great

Then after a reboot it said a file was missing, so I said to [bleep] with it and went back to XP, problem...XP also got broken to, even though this was on the C drive, not D

So, I reinstall XP from scratch on C

First thing I notice is I now have....

C, D, and E?

D shows as the normal RAID drive, at least in size anyways (138GB)
Then there's E, it's 69.2GB

D has very few folders of my files left, but nothing else
E is blank

I don't even know where to go about repairing this damage, I don't even know how it can see the first drive as 138gb and the second as 69?

Any ideas?

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Sounds like you had a bit of bad luck there, RAID arrays are fussy fragile things thats why they arent for home users, what i would do since its a fresh install would be to use Dban wipe the discs reset the bios and/or the raid controller and start fresh(i wouldnt even do the raid array they have no real performance gain when balanced with the risks involved in them.)

Repairing a raid array is pretty difficult especially striped so given your position i dont think its salvagable.