Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Best Free Anti virus / Firewall?

• Please log in to reply

CSPBATMAN

CSPBATMAN

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
Basically i want to know what the best FREE firewall / A-V package would be .

I know that zone alarm and avast / AVG are pretty good, but if you can, please suggest others and i will use the one that is most recommended/posted ....

Also , is AVG better then AVAST! ?

Edited by CSPBATMAN, 01 April 2006 - 04:57 PM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Zone Alarm and AVG work well together

GryphonGuy

GryphonGuy

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
I am aware that this is a very old thread, but it still comes up in searches, so I wanted to "get my two cents in" in case anyone else should come across this. The product that I would have to recommend would have to be Comodo Internet Security. It's free for personal use, and acts as a combined, antivirus scanner, firewall, and live execution blocker. Furthermore, in the only testing I know of that measures actual effectiveness, instead of using "how pretty is it" and "how much disk space does it take" as metrics, it's pretty consistently on top. My documentation here: Matousec Proactive Security Challenge x64

You can download Comodo here.

They make their money off home users with a live tech support tool called Geek Buddy. As long as you say "no" when it asks if you want to hire them, it'll remove any infections for free. The default install will also include a web browser called "Dragon," which is basically Chrome but without all the Google stalk-you features. It can be left out of the install process if you don't want it.

If you've crammed Windows into a toaster, it's got a "low system resources mode." I've put it into computers that by all rights shouldn't even be running XP without a problem. It's my bread and butter. The only other thing I ever use is MalwareBytes for an occasional Safe Mode scan, but that's just when I've got my tinfoil hat out of the closet. I haven't had any virus make it as far as executing in years.

Oh-- and for business users, it can be centrally managed with a subscription product than can also manage Windows Updates.

Denisejm

Denisejm

• PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

I have Windows XP Pro X64 and I recently downloaded Comodo.  I like to very much.

hazard209

hazard209

• PipPip
  • 71 posts

Personally I prefer Panda Free Antivirus or Avira Free Antivirus. I paid for Bitdefender Total Security and I have no complaints about it at all. Both ZoneAlarm and Comodo are great firewall options.

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

A small note, if you are using an antivirus already, and about to install Comodo, make sure you install the firewall only and not the full security suite as there may be conflicts between the Comodo antivirus in the full suite and whichever other antivirus you have.

Nev.

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts

I use Avast Home and Comodo Firewall.  I've used this combo on multiple machines and for several years, works for me fine.