Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems with DVD burner

• Please log in to reply

mlwjackson

mlwjackson

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
System: Antec Sonata II, MSI K8n Neo4 Platinum MOBO, 2GB Corsair TwinX, Sony DRU-810A DVD burner,
Seagate baracuda 80gb SATAII HD, OS not installed yet

When first installed the burner behaved normally i.e., activity light came on when system turned on, drawer opened when button pushed, closed when button pushed and BIOS correctly recognized the device. Then several days later it suddenly started refusing to stay closed. When the system is turned on the drawer will open but not return to the closed position automatically. When the button is pushed it will return to the closed position for a few secons then open again. When a CD is inserted it does not appear to make any effort to read the disc. When the system is powered off the tray will remain open. The dvd drive has never actually been used. However, I have reached the point that I need it to load the OS (XP Pro). When I to to BIOS and load default set settings it does not change the behavior. Where do I go with this short of installing it in another computer to see if it will funtion.

Advertisements

mlwjackson

mlwjackson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
OK, simple fix. I found Sony's live chat tech support and they asked if I had changed the bezel. Well of course I did. And it looked pretty darn good. Apparently the fit of the faceplace and the tray door is incredibly precise. They said to recheck that it was fully seated. So, I pulled it and pushed around everyplace and finally heard a click. I did not see it move nor did I feel it move. But I did hear it. Fixed the problem. On with loading the OS.