Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win XP - Date and Time randomly changes

• Please log in to reply

monkeymedia

monkeymedia

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Not totally sure if im in the right forum as this may well be a virus or similar issue.

Over the last couple of days the date and time has randomly changed?? I was first alerted to this when browsing the net and firefox said a site certificate was out of date, however when looking into this further i found the problem was that the date on xp had changed back a few years.

First thought was the cmos battery, discarded this theory as after monitoring the situation i have noticed that the date and time change whilst the system is in use.

thought maybe the system was losing time but this is also not the case

after monitoring the problem today it seems the clock is hovering around 1800 hrs, i.e. the time runs normally for 1hr or so then i come back and find the time is 1800 ish

Also over the last few days there seem to be a lot more activity with my firewall, most of the alerts i recognise the processes, just wondering if this is also something to do with the problem?

Cant think what the problem is and have searched for similar issues but to no avail.

Any ides much appreciated, could it be virus/spyware/malware? :whistling:

Athlon xp 2100+
512MB Ram
Nvidia 4200Ti

XP Pro

Advertisements

monkeymedia

monkeymedia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Bit of an update, it seems like i have sorted the problem - clock has been running fine for approx 2hrs now.

For anyone who's interested i found this solution from:

http://xphelpandsupp...e_error_in_w.ht

How Do I Correct Time Error in Windows XP

There are occasions when the Windows XP Time goes a little haywire. One minute the time is spot on, and the next the time has advanced or decreased by minutes or even hours. If manually adjusting the time via the Date and Time option in Control Panel is unsuccessful you may need to un-register the Windows time module and then re-register it. To do this proceed as follows.

1/ Click the Start button

2/ From the Start menu select All Programs>Accessories>Command Prompt

3/ in the Command Prompt window type: 'net stop w32time' (without the quotes) and press Enter

4/ Next type: 'w32tm /unregister' (without the quotes) and hit Enter again

5/ Now type: 'w32tm /register' (without the quotes) and again hit Enter

6/ Now type: 'net start w32time' (without the quotes) and hit Enter again.

7/ Finally close the Command prompt window

:whistling:

Edited by monkeymedia, 02 April 2006 - 01:50 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank You for posting the solution

monkeymedia

monkeymedia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
It seems that i have not fixed the problem using the solution posted previously

It certainly gave the impression that the problem had been rectified as the time continued normally for a few hours, however this morning i found the problem had reared its ugly head yet again!! The time works fine for approx 1hr then steps backwards, secondly the date does not change at all, i think the clock is simply repeating a cycle of 1hr or so!?

After more trawling through event viewer logs i find the problem is 'w32time.dll' with event id errors 17 and 29.

Further searching on the net has identified a microsoft hotfix KB830092 for w32time.dll, apparently quite a common problem.

It should be noted that the hotfix applies to a specific problem and event id's so if anyone does have a similar problem then the 'How Do I Correct Time Error in Windows XP' solution below should be tried first!

I dont have this hotfix installed yet as you have to phone microsoft to obtain it, however i will install it and post back here to ensure a full solution.

In the meantime if anyone else has had this problem then ideas are much appreciated.

:whistling: