Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

problems uninstalling weatherbug?

• Please log in to reply

kwang

kwang

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
Hi all-

wanted to see if any of you has also encountered what i've just encountered today--trying to unstall the weatherbug program. i downloaded it (foolishly) because a friend of mine had it and it looks cool, but i never use it so i thought i would take it out--well, couldn't do it with the uninstall command in windows.

does anyone else have experience with this, and how do you get rid of the program?

thanks so much in advance for your help

cheers
kevin

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Which errors did you get using add / remove

kwang

kwang

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
hi keith-

thanks for your quick response-i clicked on the weatherbug thing to uninstall it from the add/remove programs option, it turns blue (like it is preparing to uninstall it), then a couple of screens to try to get me to keep the program but after i delete it (or so i think), i get this message

could not open INSTALL.LOG file

and the add/remove programs program freezes....

is this a common thing? or do i have a virus/malware somewhere that is doing this...

thanks in advance for your help

cheers
k

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Do you have a weatherbug folder in programme files, you can either look direct or use search, including hidden and system files to see where the files are

Click start then run, type msconfig then press enter, click start up then remove any ticks for weatherbug, click apply and reboot, tick do not start the configuration utility when it gets to the desktop

kwang

kwang

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
hi keith-

unfortunately, my search function has been busted for almost a year now, so i will not be able to find the file. i wll try to see what i can do and then get back to you.....

when i try to do the msconfig thing, windows explorer says theres an error and it quits. i was able to tick off the weather program, so will see what happens.

"tick do not start the configuration utility when it gets to the desktop"..what does this mean?

thanks again for your help--i really appreciate it
k

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
When you run msconfig, you click apply which requires a reboot, XP will show a box when it gets to the desktop, you need to tick, do not start, otherwise it will keep showing the box each time it loads

This should get some of the programmes back

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter to replace the system files, you need the XP CD.

Windows File Protection will show an on screen blue progress bar which will simply disappear when the scan is complete, reboot when it does

If you do not have an XP CD then you can borrow a same version as was originally installed XP CD, if you downloaded SP2 then you need an SP1 XP CD

System File Checker gives an administrator the ability to scan all protected files to verify their versions. If System File Checker discovers that a protected file has been overwritten, it retrieves the correct version of the file from the cache folder %Systemroot%\System32\Dllcache or the Windows installation source files, and then replaces the incorrect file.

System File Checker also checks and repopulates the cache folder. You must be logged on as an administrator or as a member of the Administrators group to run System File Checker.

The System File Check is only concerned with replacing missing or corrupt system files, and does not affect installed software or data

kwang

kwang

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
hi keith-

is it bad to just reinstall an older version of windows (i have the xp1 disc)? i tried to do the sfc /scannow function and it asked for the disk, but it aksed for a sp2 disk (which i've never had, as i downloaded the sp2 upgrade from microsoft)....

thanks again!

cheers
k

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
That can happen with OEM CD's, you can do it this way

You will need to get your XP CD and locate the folder called:

I386

copy this onto your hard drive into the system root. For most, that is going to be C:\ so you will create a C:\I386 folder

Click start then run, type regedit then press enter, locate the following key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup

You will see various entries here on the right hand side. The one you need is called SourcePath there may be two similar keys, it is the 2nd of the two, source path

It probably has an entry pointing to your CD-ROM drive, you need to change it to C:\

Simply double click the SourcePatch setting and a new box will pop up allowing you to make the change.

Reboot the PC and run sfc /scannow

OR

Try system restore to go back prior to installing weatherbug

OR

If you can locate the install.log file, use Unlocker from my signature, install it and set it to run at start up, any file you attempt to delete and get an error with, should start Unlocker Assistant, which will then give you options

If you can post the current position on locating any weatherbug files on the drive, we can look at ways of removing them

Also, the programme's website would be useful

kwang

kwang

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
hi keith-

thanks for your reply-i tried to install the files on my c: drive, but i didnt have enough room, so i installed the I386 folder in the d: drive. unfortunately, it still asked for the XP2 CD.

i will try to do it again, and let you know....

cheers
k

kwang

kwang

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
hi keith-

i reinstalled back to windows xp1, and was able to recover my search function and found the weatherbug files. still unable to delete them the usual add/remove way from the control panel, but now able to manually delete them (haven't done it yet). was not able to locate the install.log for weatherbug-should i just delete the files manually, and then remove weatherbug from the add/remove list manually

just as an aside, i had forgotten what the recommendation is now with regards to upgrading to xp2. if it is recommended, how does one go about doing it?

thanks again!

cheers
k

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
When you delete the files, leave them in the recycle bin until you have rebooted a few times to check the PC still runs without them, it should do, but safer this way

Microsoft Update will give you SP2, which a lot better now

http://update.micros...t.aspx?ln=en-us

kwang

kwang

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
hi keith

i've tried to download the update for xp2 from micrsoft directly, but it is unable to ("install was unsuccessful" even though i have enough space in my harddrive...how do you troubleshoot it?

thanks again for all your help!

cheers
k

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
I just read weatherbug is classified as malware

Please go here:

Malware Removal Guide

Run all the programmes as advised then post a current Hijack This Log in a new topic in the Malware Forum

For the purpose of accurate malware analysis, Hijack This Logs are only dealt with in the Malware Forum. Posting them anywhere else will result in a delayed response

If you are unable to run any of the programmes, ask for advice in the Malware Forum