Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BF2 wont let me join a server

• Please log in to reply

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
welli have downloaded and installed battlefield 2 demo version

i want to run the game and go online and see what its like before i buy the full version but i cant go online at all

in the game i go to multiplayer join internet
and all of the different servers come up but when i double click on them to join it says "connecting to server"
and then just goes to the server listing scene
singleplayer works fine.

but this hasnt happened only with this game i have tried it with battlefiled 1942 (full version) and some others aswell so its not the first time it has happened.

i have no idea what to do could someone please help me,
im not going to buy the full game if i cant even go online with the demo
thankyou for any help,
troppo

p.s i have 256 broadband connection

Advertisements

Sgt_pepper

Sgt_pepper

• Pip
  • 5 posts
when BF2 first came out, there was a problem with the server listing and joining. so they released a patch. maybe your demo has the same probs, but they're not gonna patch a demo.

Jump in, both feet first, buy BF2 download the 1.22 patch and hey presto you are now playing one of the best online FPS ever.

Plus a radeon 9600 may struggle so you may have to upgrade. or play on lower settings

Edited by Sgt_pepper, 05 April 2006 - 07:05 AM.

troppo

troppo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
thanks for replying,
well it seems to handle it ok but pretty low resolution and crappy settings (belive me if i had the cash i would upgrade lol)

but see the problem has happened with other games aswell and its really strange i have never been able to get online what could be causing this i have tried all i no and cant seem to resolve the problem (harware im more familiar with)

could you suggest some things to do to fix this so that i can play other games online aswell

thankyou for your help,
troppo

Sgt_pepper

Sgt_pepper

• Pip
  • 5 posts
It sounds like it could be something to do with a firewall, but i dont really know much about firewalls, or most other software, lol :whistling:

troppo

troppo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
well im only running windows firewall but ill look in to it and see if thats the problem
thanks for your help i'll post back when ive got some more info,
cheers troppo

CrazyFrog

CrazyFrog

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Its a DEMO..think about it..would they actually let you on line with there software? Nope. You have to buy it, you got a teaser......Windows firewall? Ge Wiz. Windows firewall is about as good as an ashtray on a motorbike?. Go for Zone alarm ..Now thats a firewall! Free too

http://www.zonelabs....ontent/home.jsp

Edited by CrazyFrog, 07 April 2006 - 08:56 PM.

troppo

troppo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
yeah i no it sucks but i have had some pretty big problems with zone alarm

my old pc wouldnt even boot up wheni installed zone alarm it crapped it self bad i had to restart the thing like 30-40 times before windows would even boot properally then i had to uninstall it finally the thing would work after i uninstalled it lol dont you just love tempremental computers!

maybe i will just go buy it then screw windows firewall and run zone alarm maybe thats where my problem lies.

but it has happened in many other games aswell that is why its so weird no matter which game i try to play i just cant get online its rather frustrating lol

well ill download zone alarm and disable windows firewally and see how i go with some other games maybe that will work thanks for the advice,
troppo