Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Will my psu handle it

• Please log in to reply

skootyloops

skootyloops

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi ok im going for a new upgrade. My old specs are as followed

AMD Athlon XP 1800+
256mb Kingston PC2100
ATI Radeon 9250
GA-7VM400M
300W Generic PSU

The New System (Well the upgraded cpu and motherboard)
AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice Core
ASrock 939 Dual Sata
2x256mb Kingston PC2100
Ati Radeon 9250
300W Generic PSU

Now i am wondering whether the psu which "says" it runs at 300W will be able to power up a much more powerful system like this one.

Cheers Scott

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. You are very wise to examine the capabilities of that power supply in advance of the upgrade. Here is a link to the best collection of resources on power supplies that I have ever found: http://www.hardforum...isplay.php?f=93
Go there and examine the sticky posts at the top of the forum. They have links to calculators to estimate your power needs, lists of power supplies to aviod (there are soooo many of them) and lots of other information. I am sure you will find the answer to your question there.