Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC2700 or 3200?

• Please log in to reply

_slowhand

_slowhand

• Pip
  • 2 posts
My computer came stock with one 256mb PC2700 stick. I recently bought a 1024mb PC3200, should I run them both at the same time (1280mb) or the 1024mb on it's own? I'm going to be using the computer for Premiere and After Effects. Which configuration would provide the best performance?

Advertisements

st22

st22

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 243 posts
whats your motherboard type and model?

_slowhand

_slowhand

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Dell motherboard (0F5949) with an i845G chipset.

I don't think that having a different motherboard would substantially affect the performance if I used either configuration, unless it had dual-channel, in which case I wouldn't be using them together anyway.

Edited by _slowhand, 03 April 2006 - 03:25 AM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Ask a mathemetician, but the 1280 running at 2700 would perform as 1080 at 3200 at best, so you may as well just run the 3200 on its own without subjecting it to the drag of the 2700