Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New toy, ah I am in love again, but...

• Please log in to reply

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Hi, I how found out that a search under the below finds more entries than just deleting the temp file

*.tmp,*.chk,~*.*

Is there a way of running this through the run box, since I %temp% or %tmp% just open the temp file, how do I create this then as something I can make into a varyable later then?

[Readers will note that somewhere in his past fleamailman has taken a wrong turn at the signpost marked "gremlins left, goblins right" but he is counting on you to help him become more like the rest of us now]

Edited by fleamailman, 02 April 2006 - 06:30 AM.

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Flea, do you have too much time on your hands, or what?

XP uses those temp files to speed up your surfing. In IE, Tools>Internet Options>General tab> temp files Settings
use the slider to designate how many Mb of temp files you will allow before they start to overwrite themselves. By default, it's set pretty high. Mine is at 75Mb with NO problems.

Johanna

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Thanks Johanna for another new tip, ah but I am still in love looking for a way to exicute a search with *.tmp,*.chk,~*.* from either a variable %--% by run command or shortcut. I have some info but for some reason it didn't work as my Zebidee has been feeling a little under the weather of late so I have decided to do the nice thing and kill him with reinstall, perhaps then he'll listen.

http://www.personal-...ngtempfiles.htm

Edited by fleamailman, 02 April 2006 - 01:10 PM.

Octagonal

Octagonal

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,528 posts
Sorry flea, but dsenette is going to just love this one. :blink: :help: :whistling:

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Yes, he showed me how to make the target into a variable so that it can be launched from run command box so that that much is clear to me, but the idea suggested in the link in the first post here of a oneaction shortcut that deletes all temp files, even those store elsewhere than the temp folder sounds fab(but didn't work for me) since with a little target change one could use it for find all .url, .lnk, etc., so the idea really is two, can a search be exicuteed from a shortcut and can a delete of that search that can be exicuted from the shortcut. Imagine having a USB key and from that being able to this to sick or touchy comps.

btw if someone has the time, and is interested, could they tell me if the shortcut idea in the link above actually works for them since it didn't for me.

Sin.,
flea

Edited by fleamailman, 03 April 2006 - 12:22 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
are you wanting to automatically SEARCH for all the .tmp files....or automatically DELETE them?

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Ah, my hero, lets be greedy then, both please and can it be done for other exstention like say I wanted to delete all me .url (webpages)

Edited by fleamailman, 03 April 2006 - 04:53 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i don't know of a way to do it from the command prompt...but i was able to save the search in find....

you run the search...then click on file, then save search...then it saves it as a .fnd file....you said your's didnt work....why not?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
OOOOOHHHH....i did find how to run disk clean up from the command line...which SHOULD delete all tmp files and empty the recycle bin in one swoop (type clnmgr at a command prompt)

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
...it didn't work for me originally becaue it seems that I had wanted to infect my comp with malware, probably explaining why in the newsagent the computer mags are always on the top shelf next to the girly ones.
I am trying all out this now, and if I can get it into both shortcut and runbox commands, I will have one for to stick on my key and the other to stick between my ears.

dsenette, you are a real credit to this place then.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
I couldn't get it to work from runbox, but this comp here is french so I will try it from home then.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
OK, I am home it works as she suggested beautifully, I have transfered it to USB key. The idea is create a large control panel inside my USB key so that one doesn't have to go left and right when helping someone on their comp, just pug it in, open up and there they are: msconfig, appwiz.cpl. devmgmt.msc, shutdown, taskmgr, and unteen more then, all in one place and all just a double click away.

Now the only drawback to this last shortcut is that the drive has to be C and only C, but that is good enough because most laptops and comps have only C drive as system. I suppose for two drives I would have to make the delete temp command shortcut on their comp first and then transfer the icon to me key. Thanks dsenette and other for helping me here.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Flea- is this what you are looking for? :whistling:

Johanna

Attached Files

• Attached File  msc.zip   8.66KB   189 downloads

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Johanna, thanks, those .msc shortcuts are great saving me a lot of cut/paste to shortcuts. Have you done the .cpl and variables %%, I am updating my blog, also is there a quicker way than going "make new shortcut then cut/paste the command line to them" I suppose copying them from the programs in start is one way, and how does one put zip files on offer like that with one does not have a website, is there a way that I could share my final resulting "all of them in one window control panel" with others here"

Edited by fleamailman, 04 April 2006 - 11:32 PM.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
I suppose one way would be to go start-properties-classicmode-sort, and then copy the entire startup file, but no, one just ends up with an empty file called "start up"

Edited by fleamailman, 05 April 2006 - 12:03 AM.