Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Please help... Windows did not Start Successfully

• Please log in to reply

queentracy

queentracy

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Our electric went off this morning for about 2 mins, while the pc was on, and when it went back on, i rebooted the pc. It didnt boot up and i got the following message...

We apologise for the inconvience but Windows did not start succussfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this.
If your computer stopped responding, restarted unexpectedly or was automatically shut down to protect your files and folders, choose Last Known Good Configuration to revert to the most recent settings that worked.
If a previous startup attempt was interrupted due to a power failure or because the Power or Reset button was pressed, or if you arent sure what caused the problem, choose Start Windows Normally.
Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with command prompt
Last Known Good Configuration
Start Windows Normally

I have tried choosing all the options and it just brings me back to the same message. Any ideas what to do? I'm pulling my hair out here....

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello queentracy...

Try this REPAIR to your installation of XP. This procedure will not damage or change your current files or settings...it will just repair or replace damaged system files. You will be asked for your Installation CD and may be asked for your product key. Follow the instructions carefully...print them out if you can. Note: This option is not always available on OEM Recovery Cd's

Once this repair has completed, you will have to download all Windows Updates again.

Let me know if this option is available to you from your installation cd.

wannabe1

queentracy

queentracy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Hello queentracy...

Try this REPAIR to your installation of XP. This procedure will not damage or change your current files or settings...it will just repair or replace damaged system files. You will be asked for your Installation CD and may be asked for your product key. Follow the instructions carefully...print them out if you can. Note: This option is not always available on OEM Recovery Cd's

Once this repair has completed, you will have to download all Windows Updates again.

Let me know if this option is available to you from your installation cd.

wannabe1

Thanks for the reply, but i do not have a cd... :whistling:

Anything else I can try?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
What kind of machine do you have? Make and model number...

queentracy

queentracy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
from memory i think its an amd athlon 1.6 with 1g ram. it was made up from sone new and some second hand components by a local pc technician, not a proper shop..... Does that help?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Not really... :whistling:

You should have been given an installation cd for XP when you got the machine. Without the cd, our options are pretty limited. At very least, we need to get to a command prompt. Perhaps you can borrow an XP cd of the same version? I would definitely talk with your "local pc technician" about getting the installation cd for your machine.

wannabe1

queentracy

queentracy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
yeah, ive been trying to phone him, but cant get him... answer phone message says he's taking time off cos he's been busy...lol

Does this mean we're stuck just now then, till we get a cd?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You can try the Boot Disk Set from Microsoft to get the Recovery Console command prompt, but this will still leave us with limited options without the cd. We may, however, be able to do a System Restore from Recovery Console.

You will need to get the set for your operating system.

Edited by wannabe1, 02 April 2006 - 09:08 AM.

queentracy

queentracy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
jeez, another brick wall... i dont have a floppy disk drive...

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
:whistling: Indeed...another brick wall. Your best bet is to either get a cd from the computer guy, or borrow one from friends or family. We really need to get to the command prompt to get this thing up and running. :blink:

wannabe1

nikgurl

nikgurl

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I'm having the same problem, and I guess what I'm wondering is what I would do if the repair doesn't work, then is my system shot, because it won't do anything at all except show me that message