Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

VCRs TRACKING PROBLEM

• Please log in to reply

Plutox

Plutox

• PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
I have now two VCRs but their tracking is not aligned, my old tapes causing white noise on the new playback.

Some time ago I found on my old one that screwing up and down the guide roller which guides the tape on take off(from the revolving reader)made the white noise come and go.
Should I open my new VCR and adjust that roller to see if I can make the two VCRs compatible?

Any other ideas please?
Report an offensive/libellous post

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
If you open the new VCR you will likely void any warranty. All the VCRs I know have buttons (sometimes on the remote control) for adjusting the tracking. Consider transferring your VHS tapes to DVD because it won't be long until the VCR is as obsolete as the 8-track tape player or vinyl LP record.

Johanna

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
Thanks Johanna -
The warranty question is there but I don't think it would be noticed.
As to using DVD I did buy a recorder but the qualtity of the video was so bad I returned the machine. Admittedly I used the lowest quality to get the 6 hours I get on my tapes which give good quality. The DVD was unwatchable.
Of course I could use double speed to get better quality but that gives only 3 hours - too little for me, plus twice the cost of recording. That's why I bought another tape machine but have that tracking problem.
My remote does have that tracking adjuster button but it doesn't completely cure it.
I'll wait and ask for more advice but I think a screwdriver will be the answer!

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I always solved all problems(most) with the funky head cleaner cassete with the tracker aligner thingy, but i havent seen one in years.

You know they have stopped selling VCRs here, or at least they are going to stop buying them when they run out. No one buys videos anymore apparently, the dvd recorders you have to get the good ones to be worth it, some dont record in the best formats, best way to do it is on a computer with a big HDD that way you can record it then re-encode to the realplayer video format, its like 200Mb to the hour its like 22 hours to the bog standard DVD-r.