Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD Drive

• Please log in to reply

Ollie88

Ollie88

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
I'm having a problem with my CD drive. Most CD's will be read by the drive 23 out of 30 times, I don't mind this, but yesterday I purchased a new printer and whenever I put the brand new installation CD in the drive, its only read the CD once out of 30 times that I've put it in and when it finally did read it, it stopped after just 20 seconds, which wasn't enough time to get the install the software. Would it be the brand new CD?

Thanks for any help!

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
I would try cleaning the optical lens in the CD drive. You can get a special cd at Best Buy, Walmart Compusa etc. It is a cd that has small brushes on it for cleaning the optical lens. Do a google search on "cleaning optical lens" and you will see what I mean.

Edited by austin_o, 02 April 2006 - 07:21 PM.

Ollie88

Ollie88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
I've just used a CD like you mentioned and still no luck, any other suggestions?

Thanks

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You could also go to device manager, right click the CD ROM drive, click remove / uninstall, confirm then reboot

Look for a firmware update for the drive

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Someone like me has to suggest something stupid like transfering the contentsof the cd to a USB pendrive through another computer, then pugging in the pendrive int your computer and seeing if you can install from there. This will at least tell you if the problem is the CD itself, since you mention it is one cd in many.

Another idea
press windows flag botton and R botton
type: devmgmt.msc
go to the printer and uninstall it if it has no yellow triangle on it
top of same window where it is marked scan for new bib and bobs(sorry my comp is french)
direct it through browe to intall from the pendrive

Thef0rce

Thef0rce

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
if it chokes on that one cd, it might be a problem with the cd itself. Most manufacturers will allow you to download their printer drivers and software from the net and you should do this anyway because sometimes the stuff on the cd can be out of date.

Ollie88

Ollie88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
How will I know what to look for when getting the firmware for the drive?

Thanks

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Ok, that firmware question was true, how does one know which bibs and bobs make up ones comp, well here is a free program, at least I think it is still free called Everest, which was Aida 32 before, install it and it will not only tell you which bit of the computer is what but also if you don''t have up to date drivers it will link you to them, and even those drivers which you don't have too, ah but it like all of us I imagine can't find everything always.

http://www.lavalys.c...lcat=PR&lang=en

btw let me know if this is the right link because although it sounds like the Everest I know I might have given you something else by mistake.

Ollie88

Ollie88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Yes it does sound like what you described and yes you now have to pay for it. I got the 30 day trial.

Thanks

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Real sorry, I never like to link paying stuff, if you would like there is another program, which is stand alone, meaning non install, which isn't as good but is free, cool on a USB key when you want to give someone a quick hand without installing something on their comp.

http://www.alexnolan.../deviceinfo.htm

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Everest Home Edition is available here

http://www.filehippo...d_everest_home/

OR

From the downloads section of Geeks To Go