Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Compaq Presario

• Please log in to reply

Steve I

Steve I

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Ok so i took the old pc out of the closet today and im trying to hook up my dsl to it. We got an ethernet port installed but when i put the ethernet cable in my modem and then in the presario the presario still thinks im using a dial up connection. I dont have a dial up connection anymore but it wont change to dsl. The pc is using 98Se and the isp im trying to hook up is TDS Metrocom and im using an actiontec gateway. If you need more specs to answer just ask

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Hi:

Did you run the install CD for your DSL modem to install it on the PC? Usually the install CD or the provider's web site should provide you with all the information needed to get modem working. I use a wireless through alltel.net and they have a diagnostic program along with whatever else I need to get their modem installed and working. Surprisedly, the tech support was even good, as well as, the onsite support.

Ron