Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

hard disk lost

• Please log in to reply

castro

castro

• Pip
  • 3 posts
hey.
i have just installed windows xp pro on my hard drive with already had files on it. after the windows installed i found all my files that where already on the disk where gone...
is there any way i can get thses files back? its like 2 years of university work and about 140 gb's of infomation i need, thanks.

ps,
i did not format the drive during, but it did format the partition,

Edited by castro, 02 April 2006 - 11:02 AM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Howdy castro...

i did not format the drive during, but it did format the partition,

If the files in question were stored on the partition that was formatted during the installation, the chances are not good for recovering the data...particularly since an OS was installed. Someone well versed in computer forensics may be able to recover some of the information, but it will be a spendy proposition. (This is why redundancy is so important in backing up your data...at least two separate back-up locations should be utilized.)

Do you have other partitions or hard drives that the information might be stored on?

wannabe1

castro

castro

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
just had that 1 and its now only got the new partion on it

castro

castro

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
i bought this softwear today called search and recover 3. but the program has been running 14hours now and still only on 12%

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
As long as it's running, don't interupt it...AND...don't use the machine for anything else while it runs! Even restarting the machine will overwrite data at this point. I hope that it is able to recover your files. Let us know how you make out with the S&R 3 program.

wannabe1

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
See what this shows you:

http://officerecover...m/freeundelete/

It's a handly little program called "Free Undelete" I have recovered many files for many clients with it. You may or may not find them, most likely you will not find all of them though. The only thing is you cannot restore the files from the drive back to the same drive. You have to restore the files to another drive or thumbdrive, or something like that. Good Luck.

-=jonnyrotten=- :whistling: